How do I solve for 't' in the platinum wire resistance problem?

In summary, the problem involves finding the value of 't' using the equation r/r0 = \alpha T + 1, where \alpha is a constant and r and T are variables. The first step is to find the value of r/r0, which has been accomplished. However, finding the value of 't' has been difficult due to the quadratic nature of the equation. The value of r/r0 is crucial in finding the solutions for 't'. The author is seeking guidance on how to proceed with the question.
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

154818o.png

Homework Equations

[itex]\Delta R[/itex]/ R0 = [itex]\alpha[/itex] [itex]\Delta T[/itex]
which goes down to : r-r0 /r0 = alpha (T-T0)
r/r0 = alpha T +1
3. The attempt at the solution

Hi there, I'm on a verge of mental breakdown. I have spent over 2 a4- sheets on figuring out how to get 't'.

I have found out the value r/ro... however the part to find 't' has been daunting... I am aware of the expression within the bracket being a quadratic equation,hence two solutions of 't'... but what becomes of the value of r/r0 ?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although I have sent my work to be marked but can anyone tell me how I should have proceeded with this question ? Thanks

1. What is platinum wire resistance?

Platinum wire resistance is a measurement of the opposition to the flow of electrical current through a platinum wire. Resistance is influenced by the physical properties of the wire, such as length, thickness, and temperature.

2. How is platinum wire resistance calculated?

Platinum wire resistance is calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that resistance is equal to voltage divided by current. It can also be calculated using the formula R = ρL/A, where ρ is the resistivity of platinum, L is the length of the wire, and A is the cross-sectional area.

3. What factors affect the resistance of platinum wire?

The resistance of platinum wire is affected by its length, thickness, and temperature. Longer wires and thinner wires have higher resistance, while thicker wires and higher temperatures have lower resistance.

4. How does the temperature affect the resistance of platinum wire?

As the temperature of platinum wire increases, its resistance also increases. This is due to the increase in thermal energy, which causes the atoms in the wire to vibrate more and impede the flow of electrons, resulting in higher resistance.

5. What is the typical resistance range for platinum wire?

The resistance of platinum wire can vary depending on its length, thickness, and temperature. However, a typical range for platinum wire resistance is between 5 and 10 ohms per meter at room temperature.