Solutions to Cubic equation that dont diverge when reduced to linear equation

In summary, the speaker is trying to solve for a cubic equation in order to find the correct solution that reduces to a linear equation when the coefficients are set to zero. They are looking for the solution that does not diverge when a approaches zero. In the quadratic case, this would be the positive solution. They are now trying to do the same for a cubic equation with three solutions and are seeking help in determining which will give the desired behavior.
phil ess
I am currently trying to solve for the metric function for a black hole in adS space with quasi-topological gravity. The details aren't too important, but the point is that I have to solve for a cubic at one point, and choose the correct solution, which is the one that reduces to a linear equation when the cubic and squared coefficients are set to zero.

Consider solving the quadratic case as an example of what I'm trying to say:

The solution to [itex]ax^{2}+b^{x}+c=0[/itex] is [itex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]

In this case I would be interested in the solution that doesn't diverge when [itex]a\rightarrow0[/itex] which reduces the quadratic to a linear equation. In this case we would take the positive of the two solutions, because then as [itex]a\rightarrow0[/itex] we would have [itex]\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}\rightarrow b[/itex] and thus [itex]x\rightarrow\frac{0}{0}[/itex] and does not diverge as the negative solution would.

I am trying to do the analogous thing for a cubic equation, where I have to decide which of the three solutions will give this type of behaviour as the coefficients of the cubic and quadratic terms are taken to zero like in the above example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
phil ess said:
I am currently trying to solve for the metric function for a black hole in adS space with quasi-topological gravity. The details aren't too important, but the point is that I have to solve for a cubic at one point, and choose the correct solution, which is the one that reduces to a linear equation when the cubic and squared coefficients are set to zero.

Consider solving the quadratic case as an example of what I'm trying to say:

The solution to [itex]ax^{2}+b^{x}+c=0[/itex] is [itex]x=\frac{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]

In this case I would be interested in the solution that doesn't diverge when [itex]a\rightarrow0[/itex] which reduces the quadratic to a linear equation. In this case we would take the positive of the two solutions, because then as [itex]a\rightarrow0[/itex] we would have [itex]\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}\rightarrow b[/itex] and thus [itex]x\rightarrow\frac{0}{0}[/itex] and does not diverge as the negative solution would.

I am trying to do the analogous thing for a cubic equation, where I have to decide which of the three solutions will give this type of behaviour as the coefficients of the cubic and quadratic terms are taken to zero like in the above example.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
[itex]x=\frac{2c}{-b\pm\sqrt{b^{2}-4ac}}[/itex]

Above is equivalent. When a -> 0, x -> -c/b or becomes infinite (two roots).

1. What is a cubic equation?

A cubic equation is a polynomial equation of the third degree, meaning the highest power of the variable is 3. It can be written in the form ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d = 0, where a, b, c, and d are constants and x is the variable.

2. What does it mean for a cubic equation to diverge when reduced to a linear equation?

When a cubic equation is reduced to a linear equation, it means that the highest power of the variable is 1. This results in a straight line when graphed, rather than a curve. Divergence occurs when the solution to the cubic equation does not converge to a single value, but instead continues to increase or decrease infinitely.

3. How can a cubic equation be solved without diverging?

One way to solve a cubic equation without diverging is to use the cubic formula, which involves finding the roots of the equation using a series of calculations. Another method is to use a numerical approach, such as the Newton-Raphson method, to approximate the roots of the equation.

4. Can all cubic equations be solved without diverging?

No, not all cubic equations can be solved without diverging. There are some cubic equations that have no real solutions, meaning the solutions involve imaginary numbers. In these cases, the cubic equation cannot be reduced to a linear equation that does not diverge.

5. How are cubic equations used in science?

Cubic equations are used in various scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and engineering, to model and solve problems involving physical systems. They can also be used to analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems, such as population dynamics or economic trends.