Positional Astronomy help needed.

• Thread starter Scott S
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Astronomy
In summary, a surveyor is seeking help with converting FK5 positions into altitude and azimuth system using an Excel spreadsheet. They have accounted for various factors such as proper motion, precession, nutation, aberration, parallax, light deflection, polar rotation, and refraction. They are close to the USNO values but need assistance in fine-tuning their calculations. They prefer not to use Meeus and have found a helpful resource from the IAU.
Scott S
Hello all,

I'm a surveyor working on an Excel spreadsheet to convert FK5 positions into altitude and azimuth system. Yeah, I know there's an FK6, but one step at a time.
I know it sounds simple, right.
But I have to account for proper motion, precession, nutation, aberration, parallax, light deflection, polar rotation and refraction.
I built the sheet and got very close to the USNO values (minus refraction, of course) but I need help tightening it up.

I'm within about 30 seconds in azimuth and 10 seconds in altitude.
I used Meeus mostly, so don't recommend that, please.

If anyone would be willing to help, I would GREATLY appreciated it.

Thanks, Scott

Astronomy news on Phys.org

1. What is positional astronomy?

Positional astronomy is the branch of astronomy that deals with the precise measurement and prediction of the positions and movements of celestial objects in the sky. This includes the study of the Earth's rotation and orbit, as well as the orbits of planets, moons, stars, and other celestial bodies.

2. How is positional astronomy used?

Positional astronomy is used for a variety of purposes, including navigation, timekeeping, and scientific research. It is also essential for creating accurate star maps, predicting astronomical events such as eclipses and meteor showers, and studying the evolution and dynamics of the universe.

3. What tools are used in positional astronomy?

The primary tools used in positional astronomy include telescopes, cameras, clocks, and computers. These instruments are used to accurately measure the positions and movements of celestial objects and to analyze the data collected.

4. What skills are required for positional astronomy?

To work in positional astronomy, one needs a strong background in mathematics, physics, and computer science. It also requires excellent observational and analytical skills, as well as attention to detail and the ability to work with large datasets.

5. How can I learn more about positional astronomy?

There are many resources available for learning about positional astronomy, including books, online courses, and educational programs offered by universities and astronomical societies. Attending lectures and workshops and networking with other astronomers can also provide valuable knowledge and insights into this fascinating field.