Amount of torque required to move truck

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of torque required to move a truck of mass m from rest, taking into consideration the coefficient of friction and other factors such as friction loss, drag, and energy losses. The speaker suggests that there is a relationship between torque and mass, but it is not a simple calculation as it requires measurements and considerations for various factors. Additionally, power is also an important factor in moving the truck.
fiazo1
I am trying to determine the amount of torque at the drive shaft required to move a truck of mass m from rest, provided that coefficient of friction is sufficiently high so no slipping occurs, and it operates in an ideal environment, with no friction loss, drag etc.

Based solely on real world observations, I believe that there a vehicle of mass m won't move unless the engine provides a certain amount torque T. I have attempted to relate the two using T = (m)(a)(wheel radius) but this won't work because making a=0 would not yield any values and if (a) is made arbitrarily small, results will vary.

I am looking for a simple relationship between torque and mass of truck, with no particular amount of acceleration, just as long as it begins to move. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't have enough information - consider: why can't you move the truck just pushing on it?

I see, friction. What type of friction would this be? And the formula?

Well the truck is stationary - so... static perhaps?

Do the tires have to distort as the wheels rotate? Is the mechanical friction in the machinery of the truck? The bearings? The diff? the gearbox? Is the lubricant more slippery after it has heated up a bit? What other sorts of energy losses can you think of?

What your need to move the truck is power.
The relationship between power and torque can be interesting - technically, a low torque engine just has to operate at higher revs. However, if it doesn't have the power it cannot move the truck.

What you've taken on is not a simple calculation - most of the things you want to know need to be measured.

I understand your goal of finding a simple relationship between torque and mass of a truck. However, it is important to note that there are many variables at play when it comes to the movement of a truck, including the coefficient of friction, environmental factors, and the design of the truck itself. Therefore, it is not possible to provide a single, definitive answer to the amount of torque required to move a truck.

In order to accurately determine the torque required, a detailed analysis of the specific truck in question would need to be conducted. This would involve considering factors such as the engine power, gear ratios, and wheel size, as well as the weight and design of the truck. Additionally, real world testing would likely be necessary in order to account for any unexpected variables.

Furthermore, it is important to note that torque alone is not the only factor that affects the movement of a truck. Other factors such as traction, weight distribution, and aerodynamics also play a significant role. Therefore, it is not possible to provide a simple relationship between torque and mass that can be applied universally to all trucks.

In conclusion, while it is understandable to seek a simple relationship between torque and mass, it is important to consider the complexity and variability of real world situations. I would recommend conducting a thorough analysis and testing in order to accurately determine the amount of torque required to move a specific truck in a given environment.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force applied to an object. It is often described as a twisting or turning force.

2. How is torque related to moving a truck?

In order to move a truck, torque is needed to overcome the resistance of the truck's weight and the friction between the tires and the road. The amount of torque required depends on the weight and size of the truck, as well as the road conditions.

3. How is torque measured?

Torque is measured in units of force multiplied by distance, such as Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb). It can be calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the pivot point.

4. What factors affect the amount of torque required to move a truck?

The weight and size of the truck, the road conditions, and the type of engine and transmission all influence the amount of torque needed to move a truck. For example, a larger truck will require more torque than a smaller one, and a truck driving on a rough road will need more torque than one on a smooth road.

5. How can the amount of torque required to move a truck be calculated?

The torque required to move a truck can be calculated by considering the weight of the truck, the distance from the center of the tires to the center of gravity, and the friction between the tires and the road. This calculation can be complex and may require knowledge of the truck's specifications and the physics involved.