Finding a subspace (possibly intersection of subspace?)

In summary, the problem asks to find a subspace B of M2x2 with real entries such that M2x2 = A (+) B, where A is the subspace of all two by two matrices with real entries of the form [s 2s; 0 t]. In order for this to be true, B must satisfy closure under addition and multiplication.
Throwback

Homework Statement

Let A be the following 2x2 matrix:

s 2s
0 t

Find a subspace B of M2x2 where M2x2 = A (+) B

Homework Equations

A ∩ B = {0}

if u and v are in M2x2, then u + v is in M2x2
if u is in M2x2, then cu is in M2x2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let B be the following 2x2 matrix:

0 0
r 0

Because they are both subspace, they intersect at the zero vector and thus the set {0}, the zero subspace, is a subspace of M2x2. We then have

M2x2 = A (+) B:

M2x2 = A + B /\ A ∩ B = {0}

Physics news on Phys.org
Throwback said:

Homework Statement

Let A be the following 2x2 matrix:

s 2s
0 t

Find a subspace B of M2x2 where M2x2 = A (+) B
This doesn't make sense to me. M2x2 is the vector space of 2x2 matrices. It's not a matrix.

It also doesn't make sense to add a matrix - A - and a subspace - B.

What is the exact wording of this problem?
Throwback said:

Homework Equations

A ∩ B = {0}

if u and v are in M2x2, then u + v is in M2x2
if u is in M2x2, then cu is in M2x2

The Attempt at a Solution

Let B be the following 2x2 matrix:

0 0
r 0

Because they are both subspace, they intersect at the zero vector and thus the set {0}, the zero subspace, is a subspace of M2x2. We then have

M2x2 = A (+) B:

M2x2 = A + B /\ A ∩ B = {0}

Throwback said:
Find a linear subspace B of M2x2(ℝ) such that M2x2(ℝ) = A (+) B where A is the matrix

s 2s
0 t

That makes more sense, except that I can't read what's in the parentheses in M2x2(ℝ). In my browser it shows up as an empty box. What symbol is that?

This stuff, too.
where {A|s,t in ℝ} ℂ M2x2(ℝ)

s, t in what?

This should make it easier haha

[PLAIN]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/907375/asd.jpg

In case the image isn't showing either, the symbol that isn't showing is the "R" for real numbers, so s,t in R and M(R)

Last edited by a moderator:
I take it then that you mean B is a subspace of the space of all two by two matrices with real entries. However, you do NOT mean that A is the "matrix" given. Rather, A is the subspace of all two by two matrices, with real entries, of the form
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}s & 2s \\ 0 & t\end{bmatrix}[/tex].
Saying that "[itex]A(+)B= M_{22}(R)[/itex]" means that for any numbers u, x, y, z, there exist numbers a, b, c, d such that
[tex]\begin{bmatrix}s & 2s \\ 0 & t\end{bmatrix}+ \begin{bmatrix}a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}u & x \\ y & z\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Of course, then we must have
[tex]\begin{bmatrix} a & b \\ c & d\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}u- s & x- 2s \\ y & z- t\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Now, what relations must a, b, c, and d satisfy?

Closure under addition and closure under multiplication?

I barely see what it's asking...

Given A, I don't have a problem proving that A is a subspace of M22 -- just show there's closure under addition and multiplication. I can find a basis/span, etc.

For this question, I'm somewhat lost. Since A + B = M22, then B = M22 - A, I'm assuming B has to follow the closure requirements, but is that it? It seems like I'm just missing something pretty big here...

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies the same properties as the original vector space. This means that it is closed under vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you find a subspace?

To find a subspace, you need to identify a set of vectors that satisfy the properties of a subspace. This includes checking if the zero vector is included, if the vectors are closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and if they span a given vector space.

3. What is the intersection of subspaces?

The intersection of subspaces is the set of vectors that are contained in both subspaces. This means that they satisfy the properties of both subspaces and can be found by finding the common elements between the two sets of vectors.

4. How do you find the intersection of subspaces?

To find the intersection of subspaces, you can use the method of solving a system of linear equations. This involves setting the equations of both subspaces equal to each other and solving for the common variables.

5. Can a subspace be empty?

Yes, a subspace can be empty if it does not contain any vectors. This can happen if the set of vectors does not satisfy the properties of a subspace, such as not including the zero vector or not being closed under addition and scalar multiplication.