Near and far points with contact lenses

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the new near and far points for a nearsighted person who puts on contact lenses with a power of -4.00 D. The person's new near point is calculated to be -7.39 cm, but there is uncertainty about the far point. The conversation also briefly mentions a similar problem involving a contact lens with a power of 2.30 D and the near and far points for an eye with a contact lens power of -1.20 D.
grouper

Homework Statement

A nearsighted person has near and far points of 11.0 and 22.0 cm , respectively. If she puts on contact lenses with power P = -4.00 D, what are her new near and far points?

Homework Equations

P=1/f

1/f=1/do+1/di where f=focal point, do=distance to object, di=distance to image

The Attempt at a Solution

The focal length of the lens is -0.25 m (and is a diverging lens, meaning the person is nearsighted). To find the new near point, the distance to the image should be at the naked-eye near point (0.11 m), so 1/-0.25=1/do+1/0.11 makes d0=-7.39 cm the new near point.

I was less sure how do approach the new far point, but I assumed that do=∞ (as it should be in a properly working naked eye) so that 1/-0.25=1/∞+1/di, which makes di=-0.25.

One or both of these answers is incorrect (they are graded together so I can't tell which one) but I have a feeling I'm way off on the far point. I think I'm on the right track with the near point but 7.39 cm seems really close, I think that's better than a normal naked eye. Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured this one out; don't worry about it.

I still can't figure it out!

Where is the near point of an eye for which a contact lens with a power of 2.30 diopters is prescribed? (Assume that near point for an average viewer is 25 cm.)
s' =0.588 m
Correct
Part B
Where is the far point of an eye for which a contact lens with a power of -1.20 diopters is prescribed for distant vision?
s' = m

I tried using the same equation I did for part A where Power = 1/f, so f = -0.8333333

However with 1/do + 1/di = 1/f I do not have a value of di and if I use 0.25 m I end up with new near point = -0.1923. I have no clue how to get the far point. However, I will continue working on it and maybe if someone else is stuck on this same problem this can help.

EDIT
It occurred to me that di = infinity so 1/do = 1/f!

Last edited:

What are near and far points with contact lenses?

Near and far points with contact lenses refer to the distances at which a person with vision impairment can see clearly with the use of contact lenses. The near point is the closest distance at which an object can be seen clearly, while the far point is the farthest distance at which an object can be seen clearly.

How do contact lenses affect near and far points?

Contact lenses can improve the near and far points for individuals with vision impairment. By correcting refractive errors, contact lenses can help individuals see clearly at both near and far distances.

What are the differences between near and far points with contact lenses and without them?

Without contact lenses, a person with vision impairment may have a limited near and far point range, making it difficult to see objects at certain distances. With contact lenses, the near and far points are extended, allowing for clearer vision at a wider range of distances.

Can contact lenses correct both near and far points?

Yes, contact lenses can correct both near and far points for individuals with vision impairment. The type of contact lenses prescribed will depend on the individual's specific vision needs and refractive errors.

How often should near and far points be checked for contact lens wearers?

It is recommended for contact lens wearers to have their near and far points checked at least once a year to ensure their prescription is up to date and their contact lenses are providing the best vision correction possible.