Graphing a function in a Normed linear space

In summary, to graph a function S in each of the three normed linear spaces - R^2 with the taxi cab norm, R^2 with the sup norm, and (R^2, || ||) where x=(x1,x2) and ||x|| is some linear function of x1 and x2 - you can plot points on a grid and connect them with straight lines, but the shape of the lines will be different depending on the norm being used.
bugatti79
Folks,

Could anyone give me a simple example on how to graph a function S each of the following normed linear spaces

i) R^2 with the taxi cab norm

ii) R^2 with the sup norm

iii) (R^2,|| ||) where x=(x_1,x_2) for some ||x|| is some linear function of x_1 and x_2

In other words, to give a a sample function S in [itex]\mathbb{N}[/itex] so I can try to plot the above 3 request?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, I can give you a simple example for each of the three normed linear spaces you mentioned.

i) For R^2 with the taxi cab norm, also known as the Manhattan norm, the distance between two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is defined as |x1-x2| + |y1-y2|. So, a sample function S in this space could be S(x,y) = |x| + |y|. To graph this, you can plot points on a grid and connect them with straight lines, as the taxi cab norm is based on the idea of traveling along city blocks.

ii) For R^2 with the sup norm, also known as the maximum norm, the distance between two points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) is defined as max(|x1-x2|, |y1-y2|). A sample function S in this space could be S(x,y) = max(|x|, |y|). To graph this, you can plot points on a grid and connect them with straight lines, but the lines will be more diagonal than in the taxi cab norm.

iii) For (R^2, || ||) where x=(x1,x2) and ||x|| is some linear function of x1 and x2, a sample function S could be S(x,y) = x1 + 2x2. This is a simple linear function that satisfies the conditions. To graph this, you can plot points on a grid and connect them with straight lines, but the lines will be more diagonal than in the taxi cab norm.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is a normed linear space?

A normed linear space is a mathematical concept that describes a vector space where the distance between two vectors can be measured using a norm, which is a function that assigns a non-negative real number to each vector in the space.

2. How is a function graphed in a normed linear space?

To graph a function in a normed linear space, the function's input and output values are represented as vectors in the space, and the graph is plotted using these vectors as points. The shape of the graph will depend on the specific norm used in the space.

3. What is the purpose of using a normed linear space to graph a function?

Using a normed linear space to graph a function allows for a more general and abstract representation of the function. It also allows for the use of different norms to measure the distance between vectors, which can provide different perspectives on the function's behavior.

4. Can any function be graphed in a normed linear space?

Yes, any function can be graphed in a normed linear space as long as its input and output values can be represented as vectors in the space and the space has a defined norm.

5. How is the distance between two points in a normed linear space calculated?

The distance between two points in a normed linear space is calculated using the norm function, which takes the difference between the two points as its input and outputs a non-negative real number representing the distance between them.