Jobs where you build and test stuff.

In summary, an EE in a medium-size company's R&D lab designs, builds, and tests stuff. The work is challenging and rewarding, but there is a lot of paperwork involved.
cragar
What kind of job in the science or engineering field would have you build stuff and do experiments. I talked to a guy that worked as an engineer, and he said they had to do a lot of paper work to do anything and he said it wasn't fun. And another guy I talked too said at nuclear power plants they had to do crazy amounts of paperwork to do things like change a valve out. So what kind of job could I get where I build stuff and do experiments with not a lot of paperwork. And also could I get these jobs with a math degree and a minor in physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if it's exactly what you were looking for, but programming requires a lot of "building and testing" in that you have to create a program that does more or less what it's supposed to, and then test the crap out of it and repair it until it's good enough for release.

I haven't had any experience with programming yet, but I'm going to take an intro class soon, I was thinking more along the lines of building physical stuff.

Building "physical stuff" is usually expensive and possibly dangerous, that is why companies need a paperwork chain in order to ensure that, the cost is worth any possible returns and that all risks have been assessed and the consequences reduced to as low as reasonably possible. Yes it's a pain and yes some jobsworths give HS and E a bad name BUT when you are standing next to pipework at 3500 PSI it's comforting to think that it has been designed to a proper code.

cragar said:
What kind of job in the science or engineering field would have you build stuff and do experiments. I talked to a guy that worked as an engineer, and he said they had to do a lot of paper work to do anything and he said it wasn't fun. And another guy I talked too said at nuclear power plants they had to do crazy amounts of paperwork to do things like change a valve out. So what kind of job could I get where I build stuff and do experiments with not a lot of paperwork. And also could I get these jobs with a math degree and a minor in physics.

Well, as an EE working in a medium-size company's R&D lab, I design, build and test lots of stuff. Sure there is documentation work, but that's part of doing quality design work and quality design validation work.

ok thanks for the posts, Its sounds like you like your job Berkeman.

Yeah, it's challenging and rewarding. Sometimes it's pretty intense and high pressure, but other times the work pace is more normal.

I think our MEs also enjoy their work here. They do a lot of 3-D modelling and design work, and use 3-D printers to prototype their ideas. I've seen some amazing synergy between some of our EEs, MEs and PCB layout people in designing some very high-volume products. Pretty cool things you can do when the mechanical and electrical stuff all works together well.

1. What skills are needed for a job where you build and test stuff?

The most important skills for this type of job are critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, as well as a strong understanding of engineering principles. Attention to detail and good communication skills are also important, as well as proficiency in relevant software and tools.

2. What industries offer jobs where you build and test stuff?

There are a variety of industries that offer jobs where you build and test stuff, including manufacturing, aerospace, automotive, and technology. Other industries such as healthcare and construction may also have positions that involve building and testing equipment.

3. What is the typical education requirement for a job where you build and test stuff?

Most jobs in this field require at least a bachelor's degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline. Some positions may also require a master's degree or specialized certifications, depending on the industry and specific job responsibilities.

4. What are the daily tasks and responsibilities for someone in a job where you build and test stuff?

The daily tasks and responsibilities for this type of job can vary depending on the specific role and industry. Generally, it involves designing, building, and testing prototypes or products, analyzing data and results, troubleshooting and problem-solving, and collaborating with team members and other departments.

5. What is the career outlook for jobs where you build and test stuff?

The career outlook for jobs where you build and test stuff is positive, with steady growth expected in industries such as manufacturing and technology. As technology continues to advance, there will be a demand for professionals with the skills and knowledge to design, build, and test new products and systems.