Piezo electricity generation using piezoelectric disk(buzzer).

In summary, the conversation discusses using piezoelectric discs to generate energy from pedestrian movement on a footpath. The speaker is seeking help in determining which circuit would be best for their project. They are directed to a previous thread on a forum for assistance and advised to do further research on their own. It is mentioned that these discs can generate voltages of 10mV to 100mV and using more discs can produce sufficient power for storage.
rajat.j.mane
I am going to use piezoelectric disks to generate energy from pedestrial movement on footpath please help me which circuit i have to prefer for my project?

Engineering news on Phys.org
rajat.j.mane said:
I am going to use piezoelectric disks to generate energy from pedestrial movement on footpath please help me which circuit i have to prefer for my project?

Welcome to the PF.

This previous thread from here in the EE forum should be of help:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=373327

Once you read that thread and do some other reading (assuming wikipedia comes back up tomorrow), let us know if you have specific questions. Remember, this is *your* school project, so you must do the bulk of the research and development work.

These discs can be used as guitar pickups and in that application generate voltages of about 10mV to 100mV... something for you to go on.

But the more no. Of disk produce more voltage that can be sufficiant power to store.

1. What is piezoelectricity and how does it work?

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain materials, such as piezoelectric disks, to generate an electric charge when subjected to mechanical stress or pressure. This is due to the arrangement of atoms in the material, which causes a shift in the electric charge when the material is compressed or stretched. This electric charge can then be harnessed to generate electricity.

2. What is a piezoelectric disk (buzzer) and how is it used for electricity generation?

A piezoelectric disk, also known as a buzzer, is a small electronic component made of a piezoelectric material. When an external force, such as pressure or vibration, is applied to the disk, it causes a displacement of electric charges which generates an electrical signal. This signal can then be amplified and used to power electronic devices.

3. What are the advantages of using piezoelectric disks for electricity generation?

One advantage of piezoelectric disks is their small size and compact design, making them easy to integrate into various electronic devices. They also have a fast response time and can generate electricity from a wide range of mechanical forces, such as vibrations and pressure. Additionally, they do not produce any harmful emissions or require any external power source, making them a sustainable and environmentally-friendly option.

4. What are some common applications of piezoelectricity using piezoelectric disks?

Piezoelectric disks have a wide range of applications, including pressure sensors, microphones, and ultrasound devices. They are also commonly used in energy harvesting systems, such as self-powered sensors and wearable devices. Additionally, they can be found in musical instruments, such as electric guitars, where they are used to generate sound waves.

5. Can piezoelectric disks be used to generate enough electricity to power larger devices?

While piezoelectric disks can generate electricity, the amount of electricity produced is relatively small. Therefore, they are typically used to power smaller electronic devices and are not suitable for powering larger devices on their own. However, they can be combined with other energy harvesting systems to increase their power output and potentially be used to power larger devices in the future.