I'm having a lot of trouble converting units

• Thread starter a1exander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, Alexander has a difficult time converting units. He can convert feet to inches to cm, but he has trouble converting more complicated units, like converting ft/sec to km/hour. He has looked at multiple videos on youtube and understands the concept, but when he tries to apply it in a problem, he gets lost. He has dyslexia when it comes to converting units, which makes the process even harder. He found a converter online and seems to be able to do the conversion now.
a1exander
For some reason I can't seem to be able to convert units without getting all mixed up. I can convert feet to inches to cm fine, but I can't convert units in a more complicated problem; for example, converting ft/sec to km/hour. I just get really mixed up and lose track of the numbers.

] I looked at multiple videos on youtube and I get it, but when I look at a problem its like gibberish to me. I know this is really easy math (I mean, I'm in calculus now so it shouldn't even be a problem, multiplying fractions) but I just can't do it. It's like I'm only dyslexic whenever I look at a unit converting problem...anyone have any advice for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alexander,

Transforming units is not at all easy, many people have problems with it. I try to explain it on the way it is usual in my place.

Imagine a meter rod, with cm scaling. The length of 1 m is 100 times the length of 1 cm: 1 m is the same as 100 cm, is not it? Whenever you see "m" replace it with "100 cm".

1.243 m = 1.243 (100 cm) = (1.243*100) cm = 124.3 cm.

At the same time 1 cm is one hundredth of 1 m. 1 cm = 0.01 m. If you need to convert cm-s to m, replace cm by (0.01 m).

235 cm = 235 (0.01 m) = (235*0.01) m=2.35 m.

One hour is 3600 seconds. You convert hours to seconds by replacing "hour" by "3600 s" So 0.5 hours = 0.5 (3600 s) = (0.5*3600) s =1800 s.

Velocity is length over time. You have velocity in km/hours and want it in m/s- units. Say v=90 km/hour

1 km =1000 m, 1 hour = 3600 s.

90 km/hour=90 (1000 m) /(3600 s) = [itex]90\frac{1000 m}{3600 s}= \frac{90}{3.6}\frac{m}{s}=25 \frac{m}{s}[/itex]

When transforming backwards, use that 1 m = 0.001 km and 1 s = (1/3600) hour.

20 m/s = [itex]20 \frac{0.001 km}{\frac{1}{3600}hour} =20*\frac{0.001*3600 km}{hour}=20*3.6 \frac {km}{hour}[/itex]=72 km/hour.

Now foot. 1 foot = 304.8 mm. You want to convert 10 ft/sec to km/h. (The standard abbreviation of seconds is "s"in the SI system of units)
We do it in two steps, first transforming ft/sec to m/s

You know that 1 m =1000 mm, so 1 mm = 0.001 m. 1 ft = 304.8 mm =304.8* (0.001 m)= (304.8*0.001)m = 0.3048 m. So 10 ft/sec =3.048 m/s. That you can transform to km/hours by replacing "m" with 0.001 km and "s" with (1/3600) hour.

10 ft/sec = 3.048 m/s = 3.048[itex]\frac{0.001 km}{\frac{1}{3600}m}[/itex]=3.048 *3.6 km/hour=10.97 km/hour.

ehild

Thanks ehild! I just went over your examples again and again and I think I can do it now! Your way of thinking was different from what i was trying and it helped.

@jobrag- I need to know how to convert without a calculator, but thanks anyway!

I am pleased to know that you :cool: understood unit conversion. It is not at all simple!

ehild

just remember this... always put the unit you are trying to convert in such a way that it will be canceled out and the unit left will be the one you are looking for..

for example.

we know that 1inch = 2.54cm

if you want to convert 41.5 cm - inch

41.5 cm x [itex]\frac{1 inch}{2.54 cm}[/itex] = [itex]\frac{41.5}{2.54}[/itex] inch

= 16.34 inches.

as you can see... i put cm at the denominator of the conversion factor so it can be canceled and the unit left is inch.

now for another example

m/s - km/hr

1km = 1000m

1 hr = 3600 s

if you want to convert

5 [itex]\frac{m}{s}[/itex] - km/hr

5 [itex]\frac{m}{s}[/itex] x [itex]\frac{1km}{1000m}[/itex] x [itex]\frac{3600 s}{1hr}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{5 (3600)}{1000}[/itex] [itex]\frac{km}{hr}[/itex]

= 18 [itex]\frac{km}{hr}[/itex]

as you can see.. i converted the units one unit at a time.. i deal with meter first... I converted it to km. then after that i converted sec to hr... as you can see also, i put the units in the conversion factor in such a way that you can cancel out the unit you want to convert..

==I hope this helps. == :))

1. Why is converting units important in science?

Converting units is important in science because it allows for consistency and accuracy in measurements. Different units may be used to measure the same quantity, so converting them allows for easy comparison and analysis of data.

2. What is the process for converting units?

The process for converting units involves identifying the given unit, determining the desired unit, and using conversion factors to convert from one unit to the other. It is important to pay attention to the units and their relationships in order to correctly convert them.

3. How do I know which conversion factor to use?

Conversion factors are ratios that relate two different units of measure for the same quantity. They can be found in conversion tables or can be derived using known relationships between units. It is important to choose the conversion factor that will cancel out the given unit and leave the desired unit.

4. What should I do if I am unsure about the conversion factor?

If you are unsure about the conversion factor, it is always best to consult a reliable source such as a conversion table or a trusted colleague. It is important to double check your work and make sure the units are cancelling out correctly to ensure an accurate conversion.

5. Can I use a calculator to convert units?

Yes, calculators can be used for converting units. However, it is important to make sure the calculator is set to the correct mode for the type of unit conversion being done (e.g. degrees vs radians). It is also important to pay attention to significant figures to maintain accuracy in the final result.