Centripetal Circular Motion

In summary: For question 3), you can use the equation w=V/R to find the angular velocity (w) in terms of RPM (since the question asks for the speed in rpm).
ecsx00
At its Ames Research Center, NASA uses its large “20-G” centrifuge to test the effects of very large accelerations (“hypergravity”) on test pilots and astronauts. In this device, an arm 8.84 m long rotates about one end in a horizontal plane, and the astronaut is strapped in at the other end. Suppose that he is aligned along the arm with his head at the outermost end. The maximum sustained acceleration to which humans are subjected in this machine is typically 12.5 g.

1. How fast must the astronaut's head be moving to experience this maximum acceleration?

2. What is the difference between the acceleration of his head and feet if the astronaut is 2.00 m tall?

3. How fast in rpm is the arm turning to produce the maximum sustained acceleration?

Relevant Eqns:
w(omega) = V / R V is the velocity and R is the radius.
a = V^2 / R = w^2 * R

Attempt:
a = w^2 * R
w = sqroot( a / R )
w = sqroot( 123 m/s / 8.84 m ) = 3.73 rad/sec
V = w*R = 3.73 rad/sec * (12.5 * 9.80 m/s^2 ) = 32.9 m/s

I am having trouble with 2. and 3. because I am getting confused with the units and the equations to use. I had problems with 1. and I still don't understand how the answer is correct. Could you guys help me understand the problem? Please don't post answers, just hints or things that will lead me to setting up the problems and getting the answers. Thanks have a nice day!

Physics news on Phys.org
On question 1), you got the right value for omega. And on the last line, you wrote, v=wR (which is the correct equation). But then you wrote = 3.73 rad/sec * (12.5 * 9.80 m/s^2 ) Which would not have got the right answer. But then at the end, you put 32.9m/s, which is the right answer.

For question 2), its basically asking about the motion of two objects (his head and his feet). So what can you say about their motion which is the same?

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path instead of flying off in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force different from centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is the inward force that keeps an object moving in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that appears to push an object away from the center of the circle. However, centrifugal force is not a real physical force, but rather a perceived force due to the inertia of the object.

3. What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

4. What is the relationship between centripetal force and centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal force and centripetal acceleration are directly proportional to each other. This means that as the centripetal force increases, so does the centripetal acceleration, and vice versa.

5. Can an object in centripetal circular motion have a constant speed?

Yes, an object in centripetal circular motion can have a constant speed. This means that the magnitude of the velocity remains the same, but the direction of the velocity is constantly changing due to the centripetal force acting on the object.