Gre Score And Chance Of Admission In Grad School

In summary, the conversation discusses the importance of GRE scores for admission to top universities, specifically in the field of physics. The individual seeking advice is a student at IIT Bombay with a high CPI and good recommendations, but is unsure of what minimum GRE score they should aim for to be competitive for schools like MIT. They are advised to aim for a general score of 2100/2400 and a subject score of 800/990, but also reminded that other factors such as research experience and publications are important as well. It is also mentioned that MIT does require the GRE for their physics program.
bombhola
i'll be writing my GRE next year, and i don't have any publication till date. I'm a student of iit bombay(Masters' course), cpi is >9 in 10. i don't have any clue what kind of GRE score (general as well as subjct GRE)ensures admission to top 20 universities if i mantian this cpi. for top 10 universities? please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
No GRE scores (both general and subject) will really ensure admittance, though with your grades and good recommendations they will help. What field are you looking at?

i'm in physics. what i mean is - i'll have cpi which is good, and i'll get good recommendation letters too. i have some project experience, though didn't publish anything yet. what i want to know is apart from these things what minimum GRE score should i have (i know that there is no official cut-off) so that i can atleast compete, say, if i apply to MIT?

To be competitive at the highest levels I would think that you'd like to have a general score of at least 2100/2400 and a subject score of at least 800/990.

But these are based on my experience from about 5 yrs ago, and things may have changed. Also, your recommendations (references) and research/project experience are more important.

Bambhola,
You have a great profile. I am sorry to be a little blunt but making it to Top five takes some extra effort. Do you have any international Olympiad or peer reviewed journal publication? You can find a good admission chance estimator at www.missiongre.com.
It has an admission prediction tool that can be used to check your chances at MIT.
Best of luck

By the way, in case you don't know MIT does not ask for GRE score.

einsteinofulm said:
By the way, in case you don't know MIT does not ask for GRE score.

First, this post was 5 years old. The OP might well have a PhD by now.

Second, your information is incorrect. MIT Physics requires the GRE. See http://web.mit.edu/admissions/graduate/pdfs/MIT_department_info.pdf Indeed, you will see that all but a small number of departments, like Media Studies, require it.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a good GRE score for admission into graduate school?

A good GRE score for admission into graduate school can vary depending on the program and institution you are applying to. Generally, a score in the 75th percentile or above is considered competitive. However, it is important to note that GRE scores are just one aspect of your application and other factors such as GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement are also taken into consideration.

2. How much does a good GRE score impact my chances of admission?

While a good GRE score can certainly improve your chances of admission, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Your overall application, including your academic achievements, research experience, and personal statement, will also play a significant role in the admissions decision. A good GRE score can strengthen your application, but it is not a guarantee of admission.

3. Is there a minimum GRE score required for graduate school admission?

Most graduate programs do not have a minimum GRE score requirement. However, some highly competitive programs may have a minimum score or a recommended score range. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are applying to and aim for a score that is in line with their expectations.

4. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your score. However, keep in mind that many graduate programs will consider all of your GRE scores, not just your highest one. It is important to thoroughly prepare for the exam before retaking it to ensure you can improve your score.

5. Do all graduate programs require GRE scores?

No, not all graduate programs require GRE scores for admission. Some programs, such as law, medical, and business schools, may have their own entrance exams. Additionally, some programs may have waived GRE requirements due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It is important to research the specific requirements of the programs you are interested in to determine if the GRE is required.