A simple application of dirac delta shift theorem help

In summary: So in summary, to solve the problem, you can apply a substitution to express the delta function in terms of x, and then use the shift theorem to simplify the integral.
Seda
A "simple" application of dirac delta "shift theorem"...help

Homework Statement

show that for a, b, c, d positive:

δ(a/b-c/d) = bdδ(ad-bc)

Homework Equations

∫f(x)δ(x-a)dx = f(a)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I start with

∫δ(a/b-c/d)f(x)dx

But I am not sure how to apply the shift theorem. It seems I need to somehow relate a/b and x so that I can get it in the form of the shift theorem. But trying integration by substitution I always get tangled up. If I let u=a/b, then I can't relate dx to du to intergrate.

If I just say let's call a/b as "x". then dx = what?

ugh, this is a simple problem too. Seems like its an easy canditate for one of the first proofs shown after learning about the shift theorem so I feel pretty dumb that I'm not sure even where to start...

Physics news on Phys.org

thats not quite the shift theorem but a integral prepty of the delta function, though maybe it is...

I'm thinking you may want to consider a substitution, now first can you solve
[tex]\int f(x)\delta(mx-c)dx [/tex]

Last edited:

then how about associating x with a, and then the something around the substitution ybd = xd-cd. I haven't totally nailed it but it feels close

lanedance said:
thats not quite the shift theorem but a integral prepty of the delta function,

I'm thinking you may want to consider a substitution, now first can you solve
[tex]\int f(x)\delta(mx-c)dx [/tex]

Let u= mx ; du = mdx

(1/m)∫f(u/m)δ(u-c)du

Zero everywhere except where u=c therefore ..

sorry, I'm stuck

[tex] \int f(x)\delta(mx-c)dx [/tex]

you pretty much has it, but I'd do as follows, let u = mx-c, then x=(u+c)/m, dx=du/m
[tex] \int f(\frac{u+c}{m})\delta(u)\frac{1}{m}du [/tex]

which gives
[tex] \int f(x)\delta(mx-c)dx =\frac{1}{m} \int f(\frac{x+c}{m})\delta(u) du= \frac{1}{m} f(\frac{c}{m})[/tex]

so you can see there are a few similarities in transformation to the original problem, it just working up the substitution correctly

But my equation doesn't even have an x. So that's where I get tangled up.

I'm missing something obvious.

What I mean is, no matter what I substitute, I'm not doing to be able to determine what to replace for dx.

Last edited:

or how about letting x(a) = a/b-c/d, then y(a) = bdx(a) = ad-bc, and dy = bd.dx

then yo uhave sometihing like
[tex] \int \delta(bdy) dy= \int \delta(x)bd.dx
[/tex]

1. What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is commonly used in physics and engineering. It is defined as a function that is zero everywhere except at the point x=0 where it is infinitely large. The function has the property that the integral of δ(x) over any interval containing x=0 is equal to 1.

2. What is the Dirac delta shift theorem?

The Dirac delta shift theorem is a mathematical property of the Dirac delta function. It states that if a function f(x) is multiplied by the Dirac delta function δ(x-a), where a is a constant, the result is f(a). In other words, the Dirac delta function acts as a filter that extracts the value of the function at a specific point.

3. How is the Dirac delta function used in applications?

The Dirac delta function is used in a variety of applications in physics and engineering. It is commonly used to model point sources in electric and magnetic fields, to describe impulse forces in mechanics, and to solve differential equations. It is also used in signal processing and image processing.

4. What is a simple application of the Dirac delta shift theorem?

A simple application of the Dirac delta shift theorem is in solving differential equations. By using the Dirac delta function, the solution to a differential equation can be expressed as an integral instead of a series of complicated equations. This simplifies the problem and makes it easier to solve.

5. How can the Dirac delta shift theorem help in solving problems?

The Dirac delta shift theorem can help in solving problems by simplifying the mathematics involved. It allows for the use of integrals instead of complex equations, making it easier to find solutions. It is also a useful tool for modeling physical phenomena and can provide accurate results in many applications.