Graphics Card and Motherboard Problem

• Thread starter izytang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphics
In summary, the speaker is having trouble getting a PCI GeForce 2 MX400 64 MB DDR graphics card to work in their PC133 GfXcel motherboard. Despite changing BIOS settings and using the most up-to-date version, the card will not boot up or go to the POST screen. The speaker is seeking suggestions for how to solve this problem and lists the specifications of their computer, including a 600 MHz Celeron processor, 4 GB and 6.5 GB hard drives, and 384 MB of SD RAM. They also mention the possibility of needing to use software or disable onboard video in order to get the card to work.
izytang
Hey, I've been having a problem that's been making my skull crack.

I'm trying to figure out why this PCI GeForce 2 MX400 64 MB DDR will not work in this PC133 GfXcel motherboard. When I insert the card and start the PC up, it sort of powers up, with the fans and LEDs going, but it won't go to the POST or boot up. It just sits there making a quiet hum. First I thought it was my BIOS settings, so I messed around with them, changed the default Graphics Adapter to PCI instead of AGP (It doesn't even have an AGP slot), but no results turned up. So, if anyone has any suggestions, please say so. This is bugging me like crazy. If you want to know the rest of the specifications, look below:

600 MHz Celeron
4 GB Hard Drive IDE Master, 6.5 GB Hard Drive IDE Slave
384 MB SD RAM
Windows XP Pro
PC133 GfXcel Motherboard with SiS 6xx Chipset
Using most up to date version of its BIOS

Again, thanks for any help.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I think that you have to use software for configuring your PCI card to change some system settings. The latest PCI cards are coming with setup disks.

Does you MB have onboard video? If so you will need to find out how to disable it. On some MBs it is nearlly impossible.

Integral said:
Does you MB have onboard video? If so you will need to find out how to disable it. On some MBs it is nearlly impossible.
Possibly a jumper on the motherboard...

Also, you may neet to assign it an irq from bios setup.

1. What is a graphics card and motherboard problem?

A graphics card and motherboard problem refers to an issue with the components responsible for the display and processing of graphics on a computer. This can result in visual glitches, performance issues, or a complete failure of the graphics card or motherboard.

2. How can I tell if I have a graphics card and motherboard problem?

Some common signs of a graphics card and motherboard problem include a black or distorted screen, freezing or crashing of the computer, and error messages related to the graphics card. You can also check the device manager or run diagnostic tests to determine the cause of the issue.

3. What causes graphics card and motherboard problems?

Graphics card and motherboard problems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as overheating, faulty hardware, outdated drivers, or software conflicts. Physical damage to the components can also lead to problems.

4. Can a graphics card and motherboard problem be fixed?

In many cases, a graphics card and motherboard problem can be fixed by updating drivers, cleaning the components, or replacing faulty hardware. However, if the damage is severe or the components are outdated, it may be necessary to replace them entirely.

5. How can I prevent graphics card and motherboard problems?

To prevent graphics card and motherboard problems, it is important to regularly clean the components and ensure proper ventilation to prevent overheating. It is also recommended to keep drivers and software up to date and avoid physical damage to the components.