What are the properties of subspaces?

In summary, the conversation is about determining if a set of vectors is a subspace of R^4 based on the conditions of closure under addition and multiplication. The individual discussing the problem has some confusion about how to apply the conditions and seeks clarification and examples from the other person in the conversation. Ultimately, it is determined that the set satisfies the conditions and is indeed a subspace of R^4.
matrix_204
I had a question regarding subspaces.
Given vectors [tex](a,b,c,d)[/tex] s.t. [tex]\left{\mid}\begin{array}{cc}a&b\\c&d\end{array}\right{\mid}=0[/tex]
a supspace of [tex]\Re^4[/tex]?

Though i kno the answer is yes, but i don't understand like it looks to me that it uses one of the three properties of subspaces; the zero vector one i m guessing. But could someone please explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't panic! Stop, take a breath, and collect your thoughts.

You seem to be asking for help in understanding why this particular class of vectors form a subspace. So, you should look at each of the conditions that a subset be a subspace one at a time and see if they apply.

P.S. I think you were trying to write

[tex]
\left|
\begin{array}{cc}
a&b \\
c&d
\end{array}
\right|
[/tex]

lets say v1=(1,0,0,0) and v2=(1,1,1,1), by adding the two vectors, u get (2,1,1,1) and it turns out 2(1)-1(1)doesn't equal 0, so condition one fails, right?

If the set is not closed under addition*, then it is not a subspace.

* don't refer to this simply by number -- the only people who will understand you are those who know your textbook and will look it up

so it seems like it is not closed under addition, but the teacher said as a hint that it is a subspace of R^4.

Well, if you're confident in your analysis, then one of two things must be true:

(a) Your teacher was wrong.
(b) You have misunderstood the problem.

I'll save you a little bit of headache -- if I understand your initial post, then you have correctly analyzed the problem you stated.

ok i m pretty sure i m wrong, but i will restate the problem in the way the teacher said.
Is the set of all vectors (a,b,c,d) such that [tex]\left|\begin{array}{cc}a&b \\c&d\end{array}\right|=0[/tex] a subspace of R^4?

Have you produced two vectors in that set whose sum is not in that set?
Is that sufficient to prove the set is not a vector space?

well now i understand a bit more, and checked that there is no vector whose sum is not in the set. So it satisfies the condition of addition. Similarly satisfies the second condition of multiplication, but now I m confused in how to check it using the Zero vector condition. Can you give me an example of checking something using the zero vectors?

You sure? What was wrong with your example of:

<1, 0, 0, 0> + <1, 1, 1, 1> = <2, 1, 1, 1>

Anyways, I'm not sure what you mean by "zero vector condition" -- as I remember, the only thing you need to check is closure under addition and multiplication.

Note that closure under multiplication proves that it contains the zero vector (multiply by 0).

What are the three properties of subspaces?

The three properties of subspaces are closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and non-emptiness.

What does it mean for a subspace to be closed under addition?

A subspace is closed under addition if the sum of any two vectors in the subspace is also in the subspace.

What does it mean for a subspace to be closed under scalar multiplication?

A subspace is closed under scalar multiplication if multiplying any vector in the subspace by a scalar also results in a vector in the subspace.

What is the significance of a subspace being non-empty?

A subspace must contain at least one vector in order to be considered a subspace. This means that the zero vector must be included in the subspace, as it is the only vector that can be added to any other vector without changing its value.

How do these properties relate to linear independence and basis of a subspace?

If a subspace is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and non-empty, it is said to be a linear subspace. Linear independence and basis are important concepts in linear subspaces, as they determine the number of linearly independent vectors that can span the subspace, and the basis vectors that can be used to represent all vectors in the subspace. These properties also help to define the dimension of a subspace.