Proving S+T is Open Set: Step-by-Step

• Thread starter estro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sets
In summary, the conversation discusses the attempt to prove that the sum of two open sets, S and T, is also an open set. The conversation goes through the steps of trying to prove this and discusses the difficulties encountered. It concludes with a realization of a mistake in the proof and a correction.
estro
"Adding" 2 open sets

Homework Statement

I'm trying to prove that If both S and T are open sets then S+T is open set as well.

Homework Equations

[itex]S+T=\{s+t \| s \in S, t \in T\}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

S+T is open if every point [itex] x_0 \in S+T [/itex] is inner point.
Let [itex]x_0[/itex] be a point in S+T, so there is [itex]s_0[/itex] in S and [itex]t_0[/itex] in T so that [itex]x_0=s_0+t_0[/itex].
S is open so for every ||s-s_0|| < δ_1 s in S.
T is open so for every ||t-t_0|| < δ_2 t in T.

Let x be point in S([itex]x_0[/itex], _delta_), I will write x=s+t. [both s and t are some vectors in R^n]
s+t in S([itex]x_0[/itex], _delta_)={s+t | ||[itex]s+t-s_0-t_0[/itex]|| < _delta_} and here I stuck, if I could conclude from ||[itex]s+t-s_0-t_0[/itex]|| < _delta_ that ||[itex]s-s_0[/itex]|| < δ_1 and ||[itex]t-t_0[/itex]|| < δ_2 the proof will be over, however I just can't find the algebraic manipulation.

Will appreciate any help.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Still need help with this one...

Please don't bump after only 12 hours. Wait at least 24 hours.

Anyway. Take s in S fixed. Can you prove that s+T is open?

Sorry for being impatient.

When I try to prove that s_0+T is open I get into the same trouble:
s_0+T is open set if there is δ such that S(x_0=s_0+t_0, δ) in s_0+T, so let x_0 be point in S(x_0=s_0+t_0, δ) but from the definition: S(x=s_0+t_0, δ)={x | ||s_0+t_0-x||<δ}, in short I get into the same kind of trouble...

You can find a delta such that [itex]S(t_0,\delta)\subseteq T[/itex], since T is open.

Now, can you deduce that [itex]S(t_0+s_0,\delta)\subseteq s_0+T[/itex]??

micromass said:
You can find a delta such that [itex]S(t_0,\delta)\subseteq T[/itex], since T is open.

Now, can you deduce that [itex]S(t_0+s_0,\delta)\subseteq s_0+T[/itex]??

I think I was able to prove that s_0+t is open:

Let x_0 be in s_0+T, so there is t_0 and s_0 such that s_0 in S and t in T.
S is open so there is δ_1 so that S(s_0, δ_1) in S, so if ||s-s_0||< δ_1 then s in S.
Let x be in S(s_0+t_0, δ_1)={x=s_0+t | ||s_0+t-s_0-t_0|| < δ_1, s_0 in S}={x=s_0+t | ||t-t_0|| < δ_1, s_0 in S}, now because ||t-t_-0||< δ_1 t is in T so S(s_0+t_0, δ_1) in s_0+T.

Is this ok?
Now trying to prove the more that S(t_0+s_0,_some_delta_) in S+T.

I think the above proof is wrong because with similar technique I can prove that S+T is open set even if only S {or T} are open:

Let [itex]x_0 \in S+T[/itex], so [itex]x_0=s_0+t_0[/itex] where [itex]s_0 \in S, t_0 \in T[/itex]
S is an open set so there is [itex]\delta_s>0[/itex] such that [itex]S(s_0,\delta_s) \subseteq S[/itex] so for every [itex]s \in S[/itex] that satisfies [itex]||s-s_0|| \leq \delta_s, s \in S[/itex]

Let [itex]x \in R^n[/itex], we can write it as [itex]x=t_0+s[/itex] where [itex]t_0 \in T, s \in R^n[/itex] then if [itex]x=t_0+s \in S(s_0+t_0, \delta_s)=\{t_0 + s | \|t_0+s-t_0-s_0\|< \delta_s, t_0 \in T\}=\{t_0+s | \|s-s_0\|< \delta_s, t_0 \in T\} \subseteq S+T[/itex] because [itex]t_0 \in T\ and\ s \in S[/itex]

Whats wrong?

Last edited:

Found my mistake.
micromass, thanks for your hint [got it at last]!

1. What is the definition of an open set?

An open set is a subset of a metric space in which every point has a neighborhood completely contained within the set.

2. Why is it important to prove that S+T is an open set?

Proving that S+T is an open set is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of the set, which can then be used in further mathematical proofs and applications.

3. What is the first step in proving that S+T is an open set?

The first step is to choose an arbitrary point in the set and show that it has a neighborhood completely contained within the set. This will demonstrate that every point in the set has a neighborhood within the set, satisfying the definition of an open set.

4. What are some common strategies for proving that S+T is an open set?

Some common strategies include using the definition of an open set, using known properties of open sets, or using proof by contradiction.

5. Can you provide an example of a step-by-step proof that S+T is an open set?

Yes, here is an example:
Step 1: Choose an arbitrary point x in S+T.
Step 2: Since x is in S+T, it can be written as x = s + t, where s is in S and t is in T.
Step 3: Since S and T are open sets, there exist neighborhoods N1 and N2 of s and t, respectively, such that N1 is contained in S and N2 is contained in T.
Step 4: Let N be the neighborhood defined as N = N1 + N2 = {x + y | x in N1, y in N2}.
Step 5: It can be shown that N is completely contained within S+T.
Step 6: Therefore, x has a neighborhood N completely contained within S+T, satisfying the definition of an open set.
Step 7: Since x was arbitrarily chosen, every point in S+T has a neighborhood within the set, proving that S+T is an open set.