What Software Is Best for Simulating Particle Trajectories in 3D?

In summary, the user is looking for software recommendations to create a 'video' type graph of particle trajectories using a numerical method. They are unsure if they should use C++ or Matlab, and are seeking suggestions for a simpler option that would not require extensive coding. The conversation also touches on the speed and efficiency of different programming languages, as well as the use of specialized computer codes for tracing particles in magnetic optics.
strokebow
Hi,

I use a numerical method to trace trajectories of particles. I want to program a sort of 'video' type graph. A graph or 3d video or perhaps just 3 graphs (xy, xz, and yz) that would show the position of the ion as the software is run.

So my question is this...

What software would people recommend for doing this? Can I just use C++? Should I use matlab? or is there some other software where this can be achieved quite straightforwardly without having to write tonnes of code to do the display?

Any ideas?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you already know Matlab? Do you already know C++? Easier to use what you know--the equations will be the same in any case.
Then, it depends on how efficient it needs to be. For a few particles, you might just use Matlab, because the set up is a lot easier, and you can use built in graphing functions. For 10 million particles, you might want to use c or fortran, just for speed.

If you don't know, I recommend just using Matlab, since it's easy and won't take much code.

Ok cool.

Its just a case of which has the easier to user graphing functions.

But you think C maybe faster? Whys that?

c is (much) faster than Matlab because it is a compiled language and has static typing and minimal software protections. Fortran can be faster than c sometimes, because there's even less imposed structure on function calls.

Neither have any sort of built in graphing routines, though.

There are special computer codes for tracing charged particles through magnetic optics, even when there are strong space-charge forces that can defocus the beam.

This one (1998) for beams claims to include space charge effects.

http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/accelconf/pac97/papers/pdf/8p085.pdf

uses the long standing TRANSPORT and TURTLE codes (see references).

This one uses Fortran 90

http://accelconf.web.cern.ch/AccelConf/l06/PAPERS/TUP079.PDF

I have written simple ray racing codes for charged particles in magnetic optics using TRUE BASIC. A simple plotting subroutine might be a short as 20 lines.

1. What is computer trajectory tracing?

Computer trajectory tracing is a method used to track the movement or path of an object using a computer. It involves collecting data points at regular intervals and using mathematical algorithms to calculate the trajectory of the object.

2. How does computer trajectory tracing work?

Computer trajectory tracing works by using sensors or cameras to collect data points of an object's position at regular intervals. These data points are then processed using mathematical algorithms to calculate the trajectory of the object.

3. What are the applications of computer trajectory tracing?

Computer trajectory tracing has various applications, including in sports tracking, motion capture for animation and gaming, missile and projectile tracking, and analyzing vehicle movements in traffic.

4. What are the limitations of computer trajectory tracing?

One limitation of computer trajectory tracing is that it requires a clear and unobstructed view of the object being tracked. It can also be affected by external factors such as lighting conditions and background clutter. Additionally, the accuracy of the trajectory may depend on the quality of the sensors or cameras used.

5. How accurate is computer trajectory tracing?

The accuracy of computer trajectory tracing can vary depending on the method and equipment used. In general, it can achieve high levels of accuracy, with some systems being able to track objects within a few millimeters. However, the accuracy may also be affected by external factors such as environmental conditions and the speed of the moving object.