Furthest point at which light interferes

• Thread starter kahwawashay1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light Point
In summary: The distance between the two points emitting the light will determine how destructive the interference is.
kahwawashay1
518b9e3d-5a6e-41cb-aa7d-ef061790403e.gif

This is from a homework problem and i kno how to solve it with formulas but i don't kno what's actually going on. So in the diagram above, light is emitted from S1 and S2, and you want to find the furthest point P at which the light interferes destructively. S1 and S2 are separated by a few micrometers, and the answer was also on the scale of micrometers. But, I don't see why the light can't interfere beyond P. I mean, if you draw concentric circles representing the wavefront around each of the points S1 and S2, then it seems the wavefronts still intersect each other in various ways in all directions, including all along x axis...

Science news on Phys.org
should i post this in the homework section? is this why no one is answering me?

I suppose you should show your solution based on formulas. The answer will emerge from there.

However, if you just want to understand why there is some maximum distance, think about what happens with the path difference when the point P moves towards +∞.
Increases, decreases?
In order to get completely destructive interference, the path difference must be at least half wavelength.

nasu said:
I suppose you should show your solution based on formulas. The answer will emerge from there.

However, if you just want to understand why there is some maximum distance, think about what happens with the path difference when the point P moves towards +∞.
Increases, decreases?
In order to get completely destructive interference, the path difference must be at least half wavelength.

The path difference would then decrease.
My solution was:
dsinθ = (m+0.5)λ
x2+d2 = (x + dsinθ)2
Combining these two equations and solving for x gives
x = [itex]\frac{d^{2}-\lambda^{2}(m+0.5)^{2}}{2λ(m+0.5)}[/itex]
(where d is the distance between the points emitting the light, dsinθ is path difference, x is the furthest point)

So just looking at the formula I know the furthest point is when the path difference is 0.5 wavelengths, but I am having trouble visually seeing how the light waves behave after this point. Like I said, if you draw concentric spheres around each of the points in accordance with Hyugen's principle, it seems that the waves continue to interfere forever

Also, isn't this basically the same thing as the double slit experiment, with the two point sources acting as if they just can through a slit? In deriving the formula for this experiment it is assumed that the screen on which the interference takes place is infinitely far away...and in either case, in this particular problem, the separation d was a few micrometers and the furthest point was also a few micrometers, but when you actually do the experiment, you get bright/dark spots a meter away and more...

The question is about points along that given line.
Nobody said that there is no more interference or that a screen at a larger distance will not catch the interference pattern.

If you are familiar with double slit interference you have a good starting point.
The problem proposed is equivalent with a a double slit setup. Just put a screen parallel to the line S1S2 and passing through P. The requirement is to have a minimum at a distance of d/2 from the center. If you move the screen farther from P, the first minimum won't disappear from the screen but will be farther from the center so not on the S1P line anymore.

1. What is the furthest point at which light can interfere?

The furthest point at which light can interfere is determined by its wavelength. For visible light, the maximum distance is around 1/4 of a micrometer, but for longer wavelengths like radio waves, it can be much greater.

2. How does light interfere at long distances?

Light interferes at long distances through quantum mechanical interactions. When two light waves meet, their electric and magnetic fields can either amplify or cancel each other out, resulting in constructive or destructive interference.

3. Can light interfere in a vacuum?

Yes, light can interfere in a vacuum as long as there are two or more light waves present. The absence of particles or matter does not affect the ability of light to interfere.

4. What factors affect the distance at which light can interfere?

The distance at which light can interfere is primarily influenced by its wavelength, but it can also be affected by the medium through which it is traveling. For example, light can interfere over longer distances in a vacuum compared to a medium like water or air.

5. Why is the furthest point at which light interferes important in scientific research?

The furthest point at which light interferes is crucial in many areas of scientific research, such as quantum mechanics, optics, and astronomy. It allows us to study the properties of light and understand the behavior of matter at a microscopic level. It also has practical applications, such as in the development of advanced technologies like lasers and fiber optics.