How quickly does a star's supernova become apparent to the naked eye?

In summary, the timescale for a supernova to become apparent to the naked eye is roughly a few days. The exact time depends on the distance of the star, but it can be visible for 3-6 months. The last naked eye supernova was seen in 1987 and it was first detected by a burst of neutrinos before the visible light reached us. This suggests that if the neutrino detectors were able to give early warning, sky scans could begin to observe the supernova before it becomes visible to the naked eye.
Ender55
If a star in our night sky were to go supernova, how quickly does this become apparent to the naked eye? I know the star collapses very quickly, but what will this look like to the naked eye? Will the star suddenly become brighter within seconds or minutes, or gradually over hours or days?

Physics news on Phys.org
Within our own galaxy, that is.

Roughly speaking, the timescale for brightness growth and decay for a SNe is a days. Exactly how long it takes for the star to reach the naked eye threshold depends more explicitly on how far away it is, but again roughly days as an order of magnitude.

Well, I took a picture of a supernova in M101 in October, and then again in January, and it was plainly visible in both pictures, though it was probably about 2-3 magnitudes dimmer in January (Best guess, I never measued the magnitude, I'm just going off how bright it looked in the pics). So depending on how close the star was I'd say it could be visible for 3-6 months.

Ender55 said:
If a star in our night sky were to go supernova, how quickly does this become apparent to the naked eye? I know the star collapses very quickly, but what will this look like to the naked eye? Will the star suddenly become brighter within seconds or minutes, or gradually over hours or days?

That really is a little difficult to answer as no one has been observing a star at the time it has gone supernova. They have always been detected after the fact.
The last naked eye SN was SN1987A in the Large Magellanic Cloud at ~168,000 light years away. It was the first one visible for some 300 odd years which was in 1604AD and in our own Milky Way.
That was one of two major astro event hi lights of my life, it was amazing to see a bright visible star in the sky that wasn't the the night before. My mate and I did photos of the supernova and of a comet (possibly Wilson) in the same frame!
(the other major hilite was observing the impact areas of comet Shoemaker-Levy9 into Jupiter)

Wikipedia comments that a small burst of neutrinos were detected some hours before the visible light reached us. They suspect that the neutrino burst was from the core collapse and left the star well before the light of the blast shockwave reached the surface of the star from the core.

That's pretty cool and if the neutrino detector guys were really switched on they would be able to give the optical astronomy fraternity early warning that a supernova was imminent and sky scans could start.

Cheers
Dave

1. What is a supernova to the naked eye?

A supernova to the naked eye refers to the bright and sudden explosion of a star, visible to the human eye without the use of telescopes or other equipment. It is an incredibly rare event, with only a few occurring in our galaxy every century.

2. How bright is a supernova to the naked eye?

A supernova can be as bright as an entire galaxy for a short period of time. It can outshine all the other stars in its host galaxy and can even be visible during the day. However, the brightness of a supernova can vary and may not always be visible to the naked eye.

3. What causes a supernova to be visible to the naked eye?

A supernova becomes visible to the naked eye when it releases an immense amount of energy and light during its explosion. This explosion is triggered by the collapse of a massive star's core or the merging of two stars.

4. How long does a supernova to the naked eye last?

A supernova can be visible to the naked eye for a few weeks to several months, depending on its brightness and distance from Earth. After the initial explosion, the brightness of a supernova will gradually fade away.

5. Can a supernova to the naked eye be dangerous to Earth?

While supernovae are incredibly powerful and can release a significant amount of radiation, they are usually too far away from Earth to cause any harm. However, if a supernova were to occur in our galaxy within a certain distance, it could potentially have a significant impact on Earth's atmosphere and ecosystem.