Math Subject GRE Textbook Suggestions

In summary, the conversation was about prepping for the subject GRE and which textbooks and resources would be most helpful. The individual mentioned using Stewart for Calculus and possibly Rudin or Pugh for Analysis, but was unsure about other subjects such as Linear Algebra, Number Theory, Abstract Algebra, Discrete Math, Geometry, and Numerical Analysis. They mentioned having taken upper division classes in Number Theory, Probability, Statistics, Ordinary Differential Equations, Real Analysis, Abstract Algebra, and Math for Physics/Engineers. They also shared their thoughts on using the Princeton Review book and the REA book, stating that the latter was not as helpful as expected. They suggested finding PDFs of past exams or practice exams as the best preparation and reviewing pre
mathgradhopef
I was wondering: What textbooks have everyone found useful in prepping for the subject GRE? Are there any textbooks particularly helpful in prepping for the subject GRE and if so, which chapters of the texts should be gone through when prepping for the exam?

I was thinking of using Stewart to practice Calculus problems and possibly Rudin (or Pugh) for Analysis, but I am not sure which texts to use to prep for Linear Algebra, Number Theory, Abstract Algebra, Discrete Math, Geometry, Numerical Analysis, etc.

I will have 4 months to prep for the exam and a month and a half as well (but at that time I will be busy with grad courses).

I have taken upper div classes: Number Theory (withdrew, but took most of the class), Probability, Statistics, Ordinary Differential Equations, Real Analysis I at Berkeley, Abstract Algebra, Math for Physics/Engineers (mostly applied PDEs, a bit of complex analysis, and Fourier Analysis) and am currently taking Real Analysis II and Linear Algebra (second course).

I haven't taken Complex Analysis, Discrete Math, Geometry, Numerical Analysis, and Topology.

Physics news on Phys.org
here is my two cents on the matter:

doing well on the test is more about how fast you can pump out answers and sometimes if you can narrow down to making a very educated guess on other stuff vs knowing advanced topics.

i liked the Princeton Review book, I think it's called "Cracking the Math Subject GRE" or something like that. if you search these on google, it will know which one, I'm not 100% on any of the names, but I'll get you close enough for google to do the rest.

the REA book "The Best Mathematics GRE Test Prep" does not live up to its name. I found a copy for a dollar on amazon or half or something, so I figured, why not. the tests are a bit out there and unrealistic of the actual exam. having taken almost the entire gambit of undergraduate mathematics at two very good schools (one being a top private school honors college & the other an ivy league), there is loads of vocab that is esoteric to the point that, even with my background, I've never heard of some stuff and had no clue how to go about answering. I basically used it to do 4-5 problems out of each day for a few months before the test. At least all the answers are explained and solved in the book, but I love how it always says "It's a well known fact that ..." or "It's obvious and elementary that ..." uhh, maybe to whoever is writing this but not to a normal Joe studying for the GRE. I do think the book is valuable, just not as a resource to sit down and take practice tests from. Solving problems slowly over a couple months is fine since it'll give you a chance to look stuff up and learn as you go, but totally unrealistic prep for the real thing.

your best bet is to find PDFs of past exams / practice exams to take. They are out there on the web if you look hard enough and don't mind going to sketchy sites ... I ran a scan of my system after every place I looked for old exams.

Other than that, review your pre-calc / trig, calc / analysis, and algebra / linear algebra and you'll be fine. The test doesn't really cover advanced stuff, maybe a question or two about rings or topological spaces, but not enough to really devote time to those areas rather than drilling pre-calc, calc/analysis, and algebra/linear algebra.

I made a few flash cards to help prep too. they were mainly meant to accelerate my response time by cutting out things I normally just work out via substitution / looking up / taylor expansion / etc... What I'm referring to is memorizing things like:

integrals of cot x, csc x, sec x (which I normally just look up), all kinds of trig identities that, again, I normally just look up quickly, law of sines / cosine, 5-10 of the most common Laplace transforms / inverse transforms, etc...

I think I had about 40 cards total and I did end up using a few of the identities / laws / whatever on the test. It probably obviated 5-10 minutes of busy work that I was able to devote to other questions. I'm quite certain I've forgotten most of them now, but it's worth the time I spent memorizing them. To be honest, I kept them beside the toilet so I would flip through them for a min or two each day for a couple months and it never really set me back in "real" study time, haha.

if you have the above stuff covered and are sick of reviewing, learn the basic counting formulas from combinatorics, basic distribution stuff from probability, and make sure you can do all the basic stuff with complex numbers (like polar form and taking powers and division). you can probably bet on there being at least 1-2 of each of those questions on the test, so spending a couple days going over that may get you 3-5 more points if you didn't already know those basic topics.

not sure what else to say. good luck? hope this post helped a bit.

Last edited:

1. What are the best textbooks for studying for the Math Subject GRE?

Some commonly recommended textbooks for studying for the Math Subject GRE include "The Official Guide to the GRE" by ETS, "GRE Math Prep Course" by Jeff Kolby and Derrick Vaughn, and "Kaplan's GRE Math Workbook". It's also important to supplement these textbooks with additional study materials and practice tests.

2. Are there any specific areas of math that are heavily tested on the Math Subject GRE?

While the GRE covers a wide range of math topics, some areas that are frequently tested include algebra, geometry, and calculus. It's important to have a strong foundation in these areas and to practice solving problems in each of these categories.

3. How should I approach studying for the Math Subject GRE?

It's important to create a study schedule and stick to it, giving yourself enough time to thoroughly review all the necessary material. Make sure to also practice solving problems under timed conditions, as this will help you get comfortable with the format and pacing of the exam.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement my textbook studying?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help you prepare for the Math Subject GRE. Some popular options include GRE study guides and practice tests, online forums and study groups, and video tutorials on specific math topics.

5. How can I improve my score on the Math Subject GRE?

Aside from studying consistently and using a variety of study materials, it's also important to identify and target your weaknesses. Take practice tests and review your mistakes to pinpoint areas that you need to focus on. Seek help from a tutor or study group if needed, and make sure to get enough rest and stay calm during the actual exam.