Couple of Dynamic Questions

So the coefficient of friction would actually be 0.16, which is less than 1.In summary, we discussed how to find the gravitational field strength of the moon, the coefficient of friction, and the amount a spring would stretch under certain conditions. We also learned about the importance of using the correct formula when solving physics problems.
Affirmed
Boredom...

I'm just plain stupid... (Don't know which equations to use...)

If a 256 kg spacecraft weights 436 Newtons when it is on the moon, what is the gravitational field strength (in N/kg) there?

To slide a 9.0 kg object at constant speed along the ground requires a force of 14.3 N. What is the coefficient of friction?

You are pulling a 50 kg mass over a rough surface of friction coefficient µ = 0.15 and you are pulling the mass using a spring of force constant = 200 N/m. How much would the spring stretch?

How much does a 55 kg girl compress the spring in a pogo stick when she stands on it? You are given that the spring constant is 78 N/cm.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should post any ideas you have. I'm sure you've studied *some* equations, otherwise you wouldn't need to be doing these.

So what you're saying is that you're expected to solve all these questions without having ANY knowledge of the first thing about dynamics ? Because that's the impression you're trying to sell.

It's weak, dude. Unless you show that you've taken some effort, you'll get no help here.

If a 256 kg spacecraft weights 436 Newtons when it is on the moon, what is the gravitational field strength (in N/kg) there?

I would divide 436 N by 256 Kg = 1.703 N/Kg, unless you need to include the gravity for the moon.

To slide a 9.0 kg object at constant speed along the ground requires a force of 14.3 N. What is the coefficient of friction?

I would start off with µ = Fn/Ff
Fn = 9.0 * 9.8 = 88.2
Ff = 14.3 N

Then solve the equation as, µ = 88.2/14.3 = 6.17

As far for now...

[tex] \mu = \frac {FN} {Ff}[/tex]

Last edited:
Affirmed said:

I would divide 436 N by 256 Kg = 1.703 N/Kg, unless you need to include the gravity for the moon.

This answer and method is correct. You don't need to do anything more.

I would start off with µ = Fn/Ff
Fn = 9.0 * 9.8 = 88.2
Ff = 14.3 N

Then solve the equation as, µ = 88.2/14.3 = 6.17

As far for now...

Your equation for [itex]\mu[/itex] is the wrong way around. Try solving it again, it should be less than one.

You are pulling a 50 kg mass over a rough surface of friction coefficient µ = 0.15 and you are pulling the mass using a spring of force constant = 200 N/m. How much would the spring stretch?

Use the same principles as in the previous question to find the kinetic frictional force resisting motion. Use Hooke's law [itex]F = kx[/itex] where k is given in the problem to determine [itex]x[/itex], the extension.

How much does a 55 kg girl compress the spring in a pogo stick when she stands on it? You are given that the spring constant is 78 N/cm.

What is the weight of the girl in Newton ? Use Hooke's law again.

Yes I got it now, µ = Fn/Ff
µ = 14.3/88.2 = 0.16
(Thanks for telling me that the coefficient has to be less than 1)

Ff = µFn
Ff = (0.15)(490)
Ff = 73.5

F = kx
x = F/k
x = 73.5/200
x = 0.3675 m, 36.75 cm

55 kg girl = 539 N
F = kx
x = F/k
x = 539/78
x = 6.91 cm

Yup, they all look right. :smile:

Yes I got it now, µ = Fn/Ff
µ = 14.3/88.2 = 0.16

You did the calculation correctly but the formula is μ= Ff/Fn.

1. What is the concept of Couple of Dynamic Questions?

Couple of Dynamic Questions, also known as CDQ, is a technique used in research to gather information and understand complex ideas. It involves asking a series of questions that are designed to explore a topic or problem in depth.

2. How do you create a set of Couple of Dynamic Questions?

To create a set of Couple of Dynamic Questions, you first need to identify the main topic or problem you want to explore. Then, come up with a list of open-ended questions that will allow for diverse and detailed answers. These questions should be carefully crafted to flow logically and lead to a deeper understanding of the topic.

3. What are the advantages of using Couple of Dynamic Questions?

One of the main advantages of using Couple of Dynamic Questions is that it allows for a more comprehensive understanding of a topic or problem. The open-ended nature of the questions also allows for a diversity of answers, which can provide valuable insights and perspectives. It also encourages critical thinking and can lead to new and innovative ideas.

4. Can Couple of Dynamic Questions be used in any type of research?

Yes, Couple of Dynamic Questions can be applied in various types of research, including qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods studies. It is particularly useful in exploratory and descriptive research, where the goal is to gain a deeper understanding of a topic or phenomenon.

5. How can Couple of Dynamic Questions be used in a practical setting?

Couple of Dynamic Questions can be used in a practical setting in various ways, such as in interviews, focus groups, surveys, and even in everyday conversations. It can also be used to facilitate group discussions or brainstorming sessions. By using CDQ, researchers can gather rich and detailed data that can inform decision-making and problem-solving processes.