What are typical values for 'K' in the Ostwald model for non-Newtonian fluids?

In summary, the conversation is about creating a model for strain-hardening fluid flow to find shear force on a wall. The individual is looking at the Ostwald model, but is having trouble finding values for "K" for any material. They are seeking a resource with tables of some K values and mention two potential sources with values ranging from 1 to 10 and 1 to 2 respectively.
Curl
I need to make a simple model of a strain-hardening fluid flow, basically to find shear force on a wall. I'm looking at the Ostwald model
http://www.answers.com/topic/power-law-fluid

but I can't find any values for "K" for any material. I don't really care too much what material I'm looking at, I just want to at least get an idea of what it typically looks like. Does anyone know of any resource with tables of some K values?

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Non-Newtonian fluid?

A Non-Newtonian fluid is a type of fluid that does not follow the traditional linear relationship between shear stress and shear rate, as described by Newton's law of viscosity. This means that its viscosity, or resistance to flow, changes depending on the amount of force applied to it.

2. What are some examples of Non-Newtonian fluids?

Some examples of Non-Newtonian fluids include ketchup, toothpaste, blood, and paint. These fluids have different viscosities depending on the amount of shear stress applied to them. For example, ketchup is thick and difficult to pour, but becomes more fluid when squeezed out of a bottle.

3. How is the Non-Newtonian fluid model different from the Newtonian fluid model?

The Non-Newtonian fluid model differs from the Newtonian fluid model in that it takes into account the changing viscosity of a fluid under varying shear stress. In the Newtonian model, the viscosity remains constant regardless of the amount of force applied.

4. What are the applications of the Non-Newtonian fluid model?

The Non-Newtonian fluid model has many real-world applications, such as in food processing, pharmaceuticals, and oil drilling. It is also used in biomedical research to study the flow of blood and other bodily fluids in the human body.

5. What are the limitations of the Non-Newtonian fluid model?

One limitation of the Non-Newtonian fluid model is that it is not universally applicable to all fluids. Some fluids, such as water and air, can be accurately described by the Newtonian model. Additionally, the Non-Newtonian model may not accurately predict the behavior of a fluid under extreme conditions, such as high temperatures or pressures.