Proving Area of n-sided Polygons Maximizes When they are Regular?

In summary: That is, all the angles are equal.This proves the result for quadrilaterals (or perhaps I should say parallelograms).For n sides, by induction, the angles are all equal and the sides are equal, so it is a regular polygon.In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of regular polygons and the fact that they have maximum area for any given perimeter. The conversation also explores different methods to prove this fact, including using calculus of variations and Steiner Symmetrization. Eventually, a proof is presented using induction and showing that all angles and sides must be equal for a regular polygon to have maximum area.
Cadaei
Hello,

I'm a math tutor at a community college, and one of the students recently asked me why it is always true that a *regular* polygon (regular meaning equiangular and equilateral) has maximum area for any given perimeter. It makes perfect intuitive sense, but neither I nor any of the other tutors could figure out a rigorous method to prove it (the key word here being "rigorous").

The textbook skirted around the issue, and Google is turning up fuzzy results at best. Wikipedia states that it is fact, but only cites a book from 1979 that would be difficult to find.

eCookies for the most elegant proof (::) (::) (::) :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I will have to think more to come up with a proof, but I will make mention of some things now. One difficulty in these problems is you have to know what "shapes" are allowed. If you are only looking at platonic polynomials, a simple proof should be had.

However, I think these types of proofs can be very difficult if you are looking for full generality. For example, the isoperimetric problem simply states, of all closed curves in ##\mathbb{R}^2## having some fixed length, which one maximizes area? Intuitively the answer is a circle, but its proof is rather difficult.

In your problem you seem to be only looking at polynomials with fixed perimeter and a fixed number of sides. If you are familiar with calculus of variations, you could exhaust all such polynomials and have a proof. Steiner Symmetrization is also another promising route. However, I think these are some very large guns to for this problem.

It's actually fairly straightforward to prove that, for all *regular* polygons, the area is always less than that of a circle whose radius equals the distance from the center to a vertex of the polygon. You just construct the figure from isosceles triangles, write the area of the triangle in terms of the height of the triangle, and it can be shown that as n-> infinity, the area of the figure -> pi*r^2. The student had no problem accepting this at all.

The problem is in proving that the regular polygon maximizes the area to begin with for any given perimeter, which seems to be required for the above to be true (in the sense that the circle is not only the maximum area of regular n-gons, but of all n-gons of fixed perimeter).

Last edited:
Why not perform induction on the number of triangles? All shapes can be broken up into them, as you have already used. Deform the area of anyone triangle in the shapes, calculate area, induct on numberof triangles.

Cadaei said:
why it is always true that a *regular* polygon (regular meaning equiangular and equilateral) has maximum area for any given perimeter. .

eCookies for the most elegant proof (::) (::) (::) :)
You'll also need to fix (or at least limit) the number of edges.

Not elegant, but here goes:
Suppose a polygon P has n edges, not all the same length. There must be two adjacent edges, AB, BC, of different length. Drop a perpendicular from B to AC and show that the total area of the two triangles would be increased by replacing B with B', where AB' = B'C = (AB+BC)/2 (easy with a little calculus, probably a non-calculus method too).
So that shows all the edges must be the same length, and that completes the proof for triangles.

Suppose all edges are the same but not all angles. There must be two adjacent angles that differ, ABC, BCD. Let AD = H, AB = BC = CD = L, area ABCD = F. Let angle U = (BAD+CDA)/2, V = (BAD-CDA)/2.
With a bit of working,
(1) (H2 - L2)/4 = L(H cos V - L cos U)(cos U)
(2) F = L(H cos V - L cos U)(sin U)
Thus 4F = (H2 - L2) tan U
Varying V, F is max when dF/dV = 0, so dU/dV = 0.
Squaring and adding (1) and (2), then differentiating wrt V:
(H cos V - L cos U)(-H sin(V) + L sin(U).dU/dV) = 0
If (H cos V - L cos U) = 0 then F would be 0, so we have sin(V) = 0.
Thus BAD = CDA, so ABC = BCD.

1. What is the definition of a regular n-sided polygon?

A regular n-sided polygon is a polygon with n sides that are all equal in length and n angles that are all equal in measure.

2. Why is it important to prove that the area of n-sided polygons is maximized when they are regular?

Proving this concept is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the number of sides in a polygon and its area. It also allows us to generalize our understanding of polygons and apply it to different shapes and situations.

3. How can we prove that the area of n-sided polygons is maximized when they are regular?

There are a few different methods to prove this, but one common approach is to use the formula for the area of a regular polygon (A = 1/2 * n * s * a, where n is the number of sides, s is the length of one side, and a is the apothem) and manipulate it to show that the area is always larger when the polygon is regular.

4. Can we apply this concept to polygons with more than 3 dimensions?

No, this concept only applies to polygons in 2 dimensions. In higher dimensions, the concept of "regularity" becomes more complex and there is no general formula for calculating the area of a regular polygon.

5. Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

Yes, the concept of regular polygons and their maximized area has many real-world applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and computer graphics. For example, regular polygons are commonly used as building blocks in the design of structures and objects, and understanding their properties can help optimize their stability and strength.