Discover the Number of Combinations for Three Letters from A,B,C,D

In summary, this conversation discusses how to find the combinations of three letters from A,A,B,B,C,C,D. The first case was different because there were three different combinations of two letters. The second case was the same as selecting three items from a set of four with no repetition. The first case was different.
Omid
How many combinations of three letters from the letters A,A,B,B,C,C,D are ther?
------------------------------
I assumed 2 cases:
1. 2 letters are the same.
2. all the 3 are different.

And found 9 forms for the first case, and 24 for the second one. As you know my answer (33) is 20 more than what is written in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right about the case where 2 letters are the same.

But if you assume that all 3 are different, it is the same as selecting 3 items from a set of 4 with no repetition. This is just C(4,3) = 4!/3! = 4. Specifically, in this case, {ABC, ABD, ACD, BCD}. What other possibilities are there?

How did you get 24?

I'm a bit confused. I simply multiplied in the first case:
(3 ways to choose the first 2 letters that are the same) * (3 ways to choose the third letter) = 9
And did the same in the second case:
(4 ways to choose the first letter) * (3 ways... the second) * (2 ways... the third)= 24

I did the same thing in the both cases, but only the first one is right. Can you explain it to me?
Thanks

When you did this
And did the same in the second case:
(4 ways to choose the first letter) * (3 ways... the second) * (2 ways... the third)= 24
you were counting permutations, not combinations. For example, you counted each of ABC, ACB, BAC, BCA, CAB, CBA, when really they all represent the same combination of letters. So you have to divide your 24 permutations by the number of ways that 3 items can be ordered, which is 3!, or 6. 24/6=4 is the number of combinations.

The first case was different. There you were selecting a combination of a pair and a single letter. There were 3 possible pairs, and for each pair, 3 possibilities for the single letter. So when you multiplied 3 x 3 you counted each combination only once.

Thank you very much.

What is the definition of combinations?

Combinations refer to the selection of a group of items from a larger set of items, where the order of the selected items does not matter.

How do I calculate the number of combinations?

To calculate the number of combinations, use the formula nCr = n! / (r! * (n-r)!), where n represents the total number of items and r represents the number of items selected.

What is the difference between permutations and combinations?

Permutations refer to the arrangement of a group of items in a particular order, while combinations do not take into account the order of the selected items.

Can combinations be repeated?

No, combinations do not allow for repeated items in the selection. Each item can only be selected once.

What are some real-life applications of combinations?

Combinations are commonly used in fields such as statistics, probability, and genetics. They can also be applied to various real-life scenarios such as creating unique passwords, lottery numbers, and combinations for lock combinations.