Maximum Number of Terms in a Homogeneous Polynomial of m Variables and Degree n

• Thread starter danoonez
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomials
In summary: in summary, the proof shows that there is a maximum number of terms possible in a polynomial with m variables and degree n, but it does not show that this maximum number is equal to the number of terms in a monomial of degree n.
danoonez
I'm having a problem with a proof I came across in one of my calculus books but it's not the calculus part of the proof that I'm having trouble with. Here's the actual proof:

"Prove: The number of distinct derivatives of order n is the the same as the number of terms in a homogeneous polynomial in m variables of degree n"

I've got a good idea about how to prove the part about the "number of distinct derivatives," so here, finally, is MY actual problem:

Prove that the maximum number of terms possible in a homogeneous polynomial of m variables and degree n is given by

[tex] \frac {(n + m -1) !} {n ! (m - 1) !}
[/tex]

Let me know if it needs further explanation; I may not have done a good job explaining my problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, counting, I like counting!

You have n factors, each of which is one of m variables, and the order doesn't matter. (xxy and xyx aren't distinct)

There are a couple of ways of modelling such problems. One way is as balls in boxes:

You have n balls you want to distribute amonst m boxes. How many different arrangements are there?

Though, I think what you want to do is to sort the factors, and partition them into m groups, so the first group corresponds to the first variable, the second group to the second variable, etc. Then, you can ask the question:

I have n objects. How many ways can I place m-1 dividers into these objects, partitioning them into m distinct (possibly empty) groups?

Actually, this problem is easier to solve if you can convert it into a similar problem where each group has at least one element...

The balls in the boxes is an interesting (new to me) way to look at it. I'll give that a try and see if I can make any progress. Thanks.

this seems like a tautology to me. a derivative of degree n is determined, since the order of differentiation is unimportant (with a few hypotheses), by choosing which of the m variables to differentiate wrt, and a total of n of them. that is exactly what it means to choose a monomial of degree n in m variables.

i.e. there is nothing to prove.

1. What are homogenous polynomials?

Homogenous polynomials are polynomials in which all the terms have the same total degree. This means that each term is made up of variables raised to the same power.

2. How are homogenous polynomials different from non-homogenous polynomials?

Homogenous polynomials have the property that if all the variables are multiplied by the same constant, the resulting polynomial will have the same degree as the original polynomial. Non-homogenous polynomials do not have this property and have terms with varying degrees.

3. What is the degree of a homogenous polynomial?

The degree of a homogenous polynomial is the highest degree among all the terms in the polynomial. This degree is the same for all terms in the polynomial.

4. What are some examples of homogenous polynomials?

Some examples of homogenous polynomials are x^2 + 2xy + y^2, 5x^3 - 2x^2y + 7xy^2, and 3x^4 + 4x^3y^2 - x^2y^3.

5. How are homogenous polynomials used in mathematics and science?

Homogenous polynomials are used in various areas of mathematics and science, such as algebraic geometry, optimization, and physics. They have applications in solving systems of linear equations, finding extreme values of functions, and modeling physical phenomena.