Surplus of Y on the wrong side

• Thread starter Yann
  • Start date
In summary: Y_0})}Y = \frac{b}{1 - \exp (-ax)(\frac{Y_0 -...- b}{Y_0})} = \frac{b}{1 - \frac{Y_0 - b}{Y_0}\exp (-ax)} = \frac{b}{1 - \frac{Y_0 - b}{Y_0}\exp (-ax)} = \frac{b}{1 - \frac{Y_0 - b}{Y_0}\exp (-ax)} = \frac{b}{1 - \frac{Y_0 - b}{Y_0}\exp (-ax)} = \frac{b}{1 - \frac{Y
Yann
How can the following type of equation revolved ? I don't know how to deal with the surplus of Y on the "wrong" side :grumpy:

dY/dx = aY(1-Y/b)

a and b are constant. And when X = 0, Y = something.

I would really like to know how this kind of equation can be resolved :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Separation of Variables:

[tex]\frac{dY}{dx} = \left (\frac{a}{b}\right ) \left (Y(1 - Y)\right )[/tex]

[tex]\frac{dY}{Y(1 - Y)} = \frac{a}{b}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dY}{Y(1 - Y)} = \int \frac{a}{b}dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \left (\frac{A}{Y} + \frac{B}{1 - Y}\right )dY = \frac{a}{b}x + C[/tex]

[tex]\int \left (\frac{A}{Y} + \frac{B}{1 - Y}\right )dY = \frac{a}{b}x + C[/tex]

where A and B are constants that need to be solved for. It's easy to see that A = B = 1, so:

[tex]\int \left (\frac{1}{Y} - \frac{1}{Y - 1}\right )dY = \frac{a}{b}x + C[/tex]

[tex]\ln (Y) - \ln (Y - 1) = \frac{a}{b}x + C[/tex]

[tex]\ln \right (\frac{Y}{Y - 1}\right ) = \frac{a}{b}x + C[/tex]

[tex]\frac{Y}{Y - 1} = \exp \left (\frac{a}{b}x + C\right )[/tex]

[tex]\frac{Y}{Y - 1} = De^{\frac{a}{b}x}[/tex]

where [itex]D = e^C[/itex]. Some algebra gets you to:

[tex]Y = \frac{D}{D - \exp (-\frac{ax}{b})}[/tex]

There may be some cases where this solution is not valid, i.e. in the steps above, I may have divided by zero if Y = 1 or Y = 0 in some places, you can check the algebra. In fact, the above solution only holds in the case that Y is neither 0 or 1, since Y = 0 and Y = 1 are solutions on their own. Note:

If Y = 0 or Y = 1, it is a constant, so dY/dx = 0. Also, it is clear that aY(1-Y)/b = 0 for those Y values, as we would expect.

Now, you say that you have, "when X = 0, Y = something." This is an initial value problem. With this, you can solve for D explicitly (in terms of a, b, and other constants).

But it is not...
[tex]\frac{dY}{dx} = \left a \left (Y\frac{(1 - Y)}{b}\right )[/tex]

It is...
[tex]\frac{dY}{dx} = \left a \left (Y \left (1 - \frac{Y}{b} \right ) \right )[/tex]

...is there a place where i could get explanations on that step;

[tex]\int \frac{dY}{Y(1 - Y)} = \int \left (\frac{A}{Y} + \frac{B}{1 - Y}\right )dY [/tex]

And thank you for your help, i think theses problems (of mathematical ecology) are a little too advanced for my level but it's very interesting. Is there a good book on calculus (that can explain these kind of problems) you recommend ?

Your equation is
[tex] \frac{dY}{dx}=aY-\frac{a}{b}Y^{2} [/tex]
and can be inetgrated by separation of variables
[tex] \frac{b}{a}\int \frac{dY}{Y(b-Y)} =\int dx [/tex]

Pay attention with dividing through 0...

Daniel.

Yann said:
But it is not...
[tex]\frac{dY}{dx} = \left a \left (Y\frac{(1 - Y)}{b}\right )[/tex]

It is...
[tex]\frac{dY}{dx} = \left a \left (Y \left (1 - \frac{Y}{b} \right ) \right )[/tex]
Oops, my mistake. Anyways, if you're familiar with separation of variables, then you should be able to do that.
...is there a place where i could get explanations on that step;

[tex]\int \frac{dY}{Y(1 - Y)} = \int \left (\frac{A}{Y} + \frac{B}{1 - Y}\right )dY [/tex]
That uses a technique of integration known as integration by partial fractions. The book I had for class last year was called, I believe, "Calculus" 5th or 6th edition by James Stewart. There are two versions, one of them is multivariable (with a red/purple violin on the front) and a single variable one (with a greenish violin). Get the multivariable one. Chapter 7 contains techniques of integration. That book covers basic introductory calculus, integration, functions of several variables, vector calculus, first and second order homogenous and non-homogeneous linear differential equations, techniques of integration and differentiation, applications, etc. It's a good book.

Thank you AKG and dextercioby, i should be ok.

Only now I'm addicted to TeX (which seem to be a good thing), is there a Word-like program to write text along with TeX like on this forum ?

MS Word has an equation editor. You might have to download and/or buy it if it doesn't already come with your version of Word.

I'm still stuck... the worst is that i know what the answer is, even if i have no clue how to get to it.

[tex]\frac{dY}{\left Y (1 - \frac{Y}{b} \right )} \right = adx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dY}{\left Y (1 - \frac{Y}{b} \right )} \right = a \int dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{1}{Y} - \frac{1}{Y-b}dY \right = ax + C[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dY}{Y} - \int \frac{dY}{Y-b} \right = ax + C[/tex]

[tex]\ln Y - \ln (Y-b) \right = ax + C[/tex]

[tex]\ln \frac{Y}{Y-b} \right = ax + C[/tex]

If when [tex]X = 0, Y = Y_{0}[/tex] then;

[tex]C = \ln \frac{Y_{0}}{Y_{0} - b}[/tex]

[tex]\ln \frac{Y}{Y-b} \right = ax + \ln \frac{Y_{0}}{Y_{0} - b}[/tex]

[tex]e^{\ln \frac{Y}{Y-b}} \right = e^{ax + \ln \frac{Y_{0}}{Y_{0} - b}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{Y}{Y-b} \right = e^{ax}+ \frac{Y_{0}}{Y_{0} - b}[/tex]

In theory, it's possible to get from there and to go to ;

[tex]Y(x) = \frac {Y_{0} b e^{ax}}{b + Y_{0} \left (e^{ax} - 1 \right )}[/tex]

The first thing to take care of are the "special" solutions, which you can find directly by analyzing the first equation. Note that if Y = b or Y = 0 (as constant functions, so Y(x) = b or 0 for all x), then clearly dY/dx = 0, and also the right side is zero, so these are solutions. Now, consider solutions where Y is never b nor 0.

Now, I'm not sure if you're second last line is a typo or not, but it should not be:

[tex]e^{ax}\mathbf{+}\frac{Y_0}{Y_0 - b}[/tex]

rather, it should be:

[tex]e^{ax}\mathbf{\times }\frac{Y_0}{Y_0 - b}[/tex]

So:

[tex]Y = \frac{b}{1 - \exp (-ax)(\frac{Y_0 - b}{Y_0})}[/tex]

What exactly is a 'surplus of Y on the wrong side'?

A surplus of Y on the wrong side refers to a situation in which there is an excess amount of a particular resource, product, or service (represented by Y) on the side of the market where it is not needed or desired. This can occur due to imbalances in supply and demand, inefficient distribution, or other factors.

How does a surplus of Y on the wrong side affect the market?

A surplus of Y on the wrong side can have negative effects on the market, as it often leads to decreased prices, reduced profits for producers, and potentially wasted resources. It can also result in a decrease in demand for Y on the desired side of the market, causing further imbalances.

What causes a surplus of Y on the wrong side?

There are several factors that can contribute to a surplus of Y on the wrong side. These include overproduction, changes in consumer preferences, disruptions in supply chains, and government policies and regulations that affect the distribution of Y.

Can a surplus of Y on the wrong side be corrected?

Yes, a surplus of Y on the wrong side can be corrected through various means such as implementing measures to reduce production, adjusting prices, improving distribution channels, and stimulating demand for Y on the desired side of the market. However, the effectiveness of these solutions may vary depending on the specific factors causing the surplus.

Are there any benefits to a surplus of Y on the wrong side?

In certain cases, a surplus of Y on the wrong side can have positive effects. For example, it can lead to lower prices for consumers, increased competition among producers, and opportunities for new market entrants. However, these benefits are often short-term and may not outweigh the negative impacts on the market in the long run.