Δ in derivative and partial derivative notation

In summary, the lowercase Delta (δ) is not used in either partial derivative or derivative notation. It is often used to denote virtual displacement, which is useful in areas such as Lagrangian mechanics. It is not commonly used in the definition of derivatives, but may be seen in the definition of the derivative.
Cinitiator

Homework Statement

What does it mean when lowercase Delta (δ) is used in partial derivative and derivative notation? Does it make any difference? Or is it just a personal preference?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Google

Physics news on Phys.org
If you means something like [itex]\delta x[/itex] or [itex]\delta f[/itex], it means "a slight change in" x or f. It does NOT occur in "partial derivative and derivative notation" but you may see it in the definition of the derivative.

Cinitiator said:

Homework Statement

What does it mean when lowercase Delta (δ) is used in partial derivative and derivative notation? Does it make any difference? Or is it just a personal preference?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

Google
The Greek character δ (lower-case Delta) is not used in either kind of derivative. In ordinary derivatives, d is used, as in $$\frac{dy}{dx}$$
Here y is a function of a single variable. IOW, y = f(x).
It's probably not too far wrong to think of this as the quotient of two differentials: dy and dx.

For partial derivatives, a different character is used. As far as I know, it's not part of any alphabet.

If z is a function of two variables, say x and y, then we can talk about two partial derivatives:
$$\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}$$
and $$\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}$$

Usually it denotes a "virtual" derivative, one where time is held constant.

If you have a position vector [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] which is a function of several variables, [itex]\left \{ q_1,q_2,q_3,...,q_n \right \}[/itex] and time [itex]t[/itex], the the total differential displacement is given by:

[tex]d\textbf{r}=\frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial t}dt+\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial q_i}dq_i[/tex]

This is just the chain rule. The virtual displacement, however, is given by:

[tex]\delta \textbf{r}=\sum_{i=1}^n \frac{\partial \textbf{r}}{\partial q_i}\delta q_i[/tex]

Note that it holds time constant. Virtual displacement is very useful in areas that use Calculus of Variations, such as Lagrangian mechanics.

It looks more like variations to me.

HallsofIvy said:
If you means something like [itex]\delta x[/itex] or [itex]\delta f[/itex], it means "a slight change in" x or f. It does NOT occur in "partial derivative and derivative notation" but you may see it in the definition of the derivative.

But elfmotat's suggestion is good too.

1. What is the difference between Δ in derivative and partial derivative notation?

The Δ symbol in derivative notation represents the change in a function's value over a specific interval. The partial derivative notation, on the other hand, uses the ∂ symbol to indicate the change in a function with respect to a specific variable while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is Δ used in calculating derivatives?

To calculate a derivative using Δ, you would divide the change in the function's value by the change in the independent variable. This is known as the average rate of change and can be used to approximate the derivative at a specific point.

3. What is the purpose of using partial derivatives?

Partial derivatives are used to analyze how a function changes with respect to one variable while holding all other variables constant. This is particularly useful in multivariable calculus and optimization problems.

4. Can Δ be used for functions with multiple independent variables?

No, Δ can only be used for functions with one independent variable. For functions with multiple independent variables, partial derivatives are used to analyze the change in the function with respect to each variable.

5. How do you notate higher order derivatives using Δ?

To notate higher order derivatives using Δ, you would use the notation Δy/Δx^n, where n represents the order of the derivative. For example, a second order derivative would be notated as Δ^2y/Δx^2.