Asymptotes of hyperbolic sections of a given cone

In summary, the book "Companion to Concrete Math Vol. I by Melzak" mentions that any ellipse can occur as a plane section of a given cone, but this is not the case for hyperbolas. For a fixed cone, only hyperbolas with asymptotes at a small enough angle can occur as plane sections. The conversation also discusses how the angle of the asymptotes of hyperbolic sections of the same cone can vary based on the angle of the parallel plane through the vertex.
imurme8
A book I'm reading (Companion to Concrete Math Vol. I by Melzak) mentions, "...any ellipse occurs as a plane section of any given cone. This is not the case with hyperbolas: for a fixed cone only those hyperbolas whose asymptotes make a sufficiently small angle occur as plane sections."

It seems to me that all hyperbolic sections of the same cone must have asymptotes that make exactly the same angle with each other (the angle formed by two antipodal generators of the cone). Is this incorrect? The wording in the book suggests their angles fall a range of values.

Physics news on Phys.org
hi imurme8! :smile:
imurme8 said:
It seems to me that all hyperbolic sections of the same cone must have asymptotes that make exactly the same angle with each other (the angle formed by two antipodal generators of the cone).

no, the asymptotes will be parallel to the intersection of the cone with the parallel plane through the vertex …

tilt the plane away from the "vertical", and you reduce the angle :wink:

Thank you, I see it now. :)

1. What is an asymptote of a hyperbolic section of a cone?

An asymptote of a hyperbolic section of a cone is a line that the hyperbolic section approaches but never intersects as it extends towards infinity.

2. How can you determine the equation of an asymptote of a hyperbolic section of a cone?

The equation of an asymptote of a hyperbolic section of a cone can be determined by finding the slope of the cone's generatrix and using that slope in the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept.

3. Are asymptotes of hyperbolic sections of a cone always straight lines?

Yes, asymptotes of hyperbolic sections of a cone are always straight lines, as they have a constant slope and do not curve.

4. How many asymptotes can a hyperbolic section of a cone have?

A hyperbolic section of a cone can have two asymptotes, one for each side of the cone, or it can have no asymptotes if the section does not extend towards infinity.

5. What is the significance of asymptotes in studying hyperbolic sections of a cone?

Asymptotes provide important information about the behavior of hyperbolic sections of a cone as they approach infinity. They help in determining the shape and orientation of the hyperbolic section and can also be used in solving equations involving hyperbolic sections.