Capacitance of parrallel plates decrease

In summary: However, the total charge on the plates will still be the same. This is because the electric field only affects the movement of charge, not the total charge.
Alkatran
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Small question: The capacitance of parrallel plates decreases as you increase the distance between them, why?

I know the voltage increases, because the electric field is constant, but how does this stop more charge from entering the plate? I mean our voltage relative to some far-off charge is excessively high and yet this doesn't change our capacitance by much?

Just a conceptual thing. I can do the work, I just need to know WHY it works!

Physics news on Phys.org
i may be wrong

but, is this simply because the electric force between the two plates is an inverse square law, [tex] F_e = \frac {kq_1q_2}{d^2}[/tex]
where the q's would be the charges of the plates, k being the constant, 9.0e9 and d being the distacne between them. So as the distance increases between the plates the static electric force bewteen them decreases

by the way that is Coulomb's Law

anyways I could have interpreted your question wrong

my previous post may have been wrong, I wasn't exactly sure of the relationship between electrostatic force, using Coulomb's law, and Capacitance, however, I was eager to figure it out and googled a site that may help, http://dept.physics.upenn.edu/courses/gladney/phys151/lectures/lecture_feb_03_2003.shtml
they show the relationship of Capacitance and distance as:
[tex] C=\frac{Q}{V}=\frac{Q}{Q_d/e_oA}=\frac{e_o A}{d}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Alkatran said:
I know the voltage increases, because the electric field is constant, but how does this stop more charge from entering the plate?
By definition, capacitance is C = Q/V. Normally, charge can only enter or leave the plates if there is an available path. (Like if the capacitor is connected to a battery.)

The electric field is constant only if the charge is constant: If you disconnect the battery before increasing the plate separation. The charge per volt will decrease.

On the other hand, if you keep the battery connected as you increase the separation the charge will change, since the field decreases. The charge per volt will again decrease.

1. What factors affect the capacitance of parallel plates?

The capacitance of parallel plates is affected by the distance between the plates, the area of the plates, and the dielectric material between the plates. As the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases. Similarly, a larger plate area and a higher dielectric constant will result in a higher capacitance.

2. How does the distance between the parallel plates affect the capacitance?

The distance between the plates has an inverse relationship with the capacitance. As the distance increases, the capacitance decreases. This is because a larger distance between the plates means there is a larger electric field and less charge is stored on the plates.

3. Why does the capacitance decrease when a dielectric material is inserted between the parallel plates?

A dielectric material has a higher dielectric constant than air, which means it can store more charge per unit area. This reduces the electric field between the plates, resulting in a decrease in capacitance. Additionally, the presence of a dielectric material also increases the distance between the plates, further decreasing the capacitance.

4. How does the plate area affect the capacitance of parallel plates?

The larger the plate area, the higher the capacitance. This is because a larger plate area means there is a larger surface area for charge to accumulate, resulting in a higher capacitance.

5. Can the capacitance of parallel plates ever increase?

Yes, the capacitance of parallel plates can increase if the distance between the plates is decreased or if a dielectric material with a higher dielectric constant is inserted between the plates. However, the plate area cannot be increased as the capacitance is directly proportional to the plate area.