What is the molarity of 29.25 g of NaCl in 700mL of solution?

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Molarity
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the molarity of a solution containing 29.25 g of NaCl dissolved in 700 mL of total solution. The person initially thought the answer was approximately 0.35 mol/L, but another person corrected them and explained that the molar mass of NaCl is 56.5 g/mol. They then discussed the correct calculation method and arrived at an answer of approximately 0.72 mol/L.
DB
Havin a little trouble:
Calculate the molarity of 29.25 g of NaCl dissolved in 700ml of total solution in moles per litre.

I know that 1 mol of salt is 57 g so 29.25 g of salt is ~0.51 mol...
But then what?
Is the answer ~0.35 mol/700L ? I cross multiplied.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
No.The molar mass of NaCl is 56.5.You'll have to figure out how many moles that means and then apply the simple rule:
x moles------------>700mL
y moles------------>1000mL

Daniel.

P.S."y" is the one you're interested in.

~0.357 mol/L?

What is the value of "x" that u found...?

Daniel.

i got ~0.51 moles by dividing 29.25 by 56.5, the i cross multiplied knowing x.

And u wound up with ~0.36,huh...?You didn't do it (the cross multiplication) correctly,after all,at constant concentration,the more sollution u have (1000mL cf.700mL),the more dilluted substance u must have,right??

Daniel.

O i was so hooked on dilution! is the answer ~0.72 mol/L?

Yes,pretty much so.

Daniel.

1. What is molarity?

Molarity is a unit of concentration that measures the number of moles of a substance dissolved in one liter of solution.

2. How do you calculate molarity?

Molarity can be calculated by dividing the number of moles of the solute by the volume of the solution in liters.

3. What is the difference between molarity and molality?

Molarity measures the concentration of a solution in terms of moles per liter, while molality measures the concentration in terms of moles per kilogram of solvent.

4. Can molarity be negative?

No, molarity cannot be negative as it is a measure of concentration and must have a positive value.

5. What is the significance of molarity in chemistry?

Molarity is an important concept in chemistry as it helps in accurately measuring and expressing the concentration of a solution, which is crucial in various chemical reactions and experiments.