What is the Correct Integral Value for Divergent or Convergent?

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the integral of a function and the importance of using the correct primitive function to find the limit and numerical value.
ProBasket
[tex]\int_9^{inf} \frac{1}{x^{6/5}}[/tex]

first thing i did was found the integral of the function

[tex]\frac{5}{x^{-1/5}}[/tex]

then plug in inf(i will name it b) and 9

[tex]\frac{5}{b^{-1/5}} - \frac{5}{9^{-1/5}}[/tex]
now i will find the lim -> inf

well for [tex]\frac{5}{9^{-1/5}}[/tex], it's equal to 7.759

now for [tex]\frac{5}{b^{-1/5}}[/tex], it looks like INF, but when i try to submit my answer, it tells me that I'm wrong.

anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The primitive function is wrong, it should be

[tex]-\frac{5}{x^{1/5}}[/tex].

Therefore,not only the limit,but also the numerical value for 9 is wrong...You should have written the integrand as [itex] x^{-\frac{6}{5}} [/itex].

Daniel.

1. What is the difference between divergent and convergent evolution?

Divergent evolution refers to the process where two or more species evolve from a common ancestor and become increasingly different over time. This can happen due to environmental factors or adaptation to different niches. Convergent evolution, on the other hand, is when two unrelated species develop similar traits or characteristics due to similar environmental pressures. Essentially, divergent evolution leads to greater diversity while convergent evolution leads to similarity.

2. How do you determine if a species has undergone divergent or convergent evolution?

To determine if a species has undergone divergent or convergent evolution, scientists look at the genetic and physical similarities between different species. If two species share a common ancestor but have evolved different traits, it is considered divergent evolution. If two species do not share a common ancestor but have evolved similar traits, it is considered convergent evolution.

3. Can divergent and convergent evolution occur simultaneously in a species?

Yes, it is possible for a species to undergo both divergent and convergent evolution at the same time. This can happen if a species is adapting to different environments or facing different environmental pressures. For example, a species may have divergent evolution within a specific habitat, but convergent evolution with a different species in a different habitat.

4. What are some real-life examples of divergent and convergent evolution?

A classic example of divergent evolution is the Galapagos finches, where different species of finches evolved unique beak shapes and sizes to adapt to different food sources on different islands. An example of convergent evolution is the similarities between dolphins and sharks, where they have both evolved a streamlined body shape and fins for efficient swimming, despite being from different evolutionary lineages.

5. How does understanding divergent and convergent evolution impact our understanding of evolution as a whole?

Studying divergent and convergent evolution helps us understand the process and mechanisms of how species change over time. It also highlights the role of natural selection and adaptation in shaping the diversity of life on Earth. By understanding these concepts, we can better comprehend the complexity of evolution and the interconnectedness of all species on our planet.