What is the typical number of rounds in a gladiatorial league with N gladiators?

• Thread starter onomatomanic
  • Start date
In summary, a champion is determined in a series of elimination rounds, where the method of elimination depends on the number of participants.
onomatomanic
Say there are N gladiators, and I want to find the champion among them. The method by which this is done is a series of elimination rounds, which are similar to but not quite like the methods used in many modern sports events:

Each gladiator is given a number from 1 to N. Each gladiator then fights the n gladiators with numbers immediately lower than their own and the n gladiators with numbers immediately higher than their own, where n is some constant much smaller than N. For example, if n=2, then gladiator #50 fights gladiators #49, #48, #51, and #52 in the first round.

Only those who win all of their fights advance to the next round, and the process repeats. To continue the example, assuming that our #50 won all four fights, then all of their opponents were necessarily eliminated because they lost at least one of their fights, namely the one with #50. So, in the second round, #50's closest possible opponents would be #47, #44, #53, and #56. Then again, it's possible that they are already the "last man standing", because nobody else managed to win all of their four fights.

I haven't decided what happens "at the edges", i.e. who #1 fights in the first round, other than #2 and #3, if anyone. For practical reasons, they can't fight #N-1 and #N, which would of course be the tidiest solution. Let's treat that point as negligible, for now.

It's easy to calculate how many rounds this championship will take at least - one, see above. It's almost as easy to calculate how many rounds it will take at most. However, how many rounds will it take typically, as a function of N and n?

Physics news on Phys.org
What happens if nobody wins all 4 his matches??

micromass said:
What happens if nobody wins all 4 his matches??

Doesn't sound like much of a Gladiator to me...

chiro said:
Doesn't sound like much of a Gladiator to me...

I thought the matches are to the death.

I am Spartacus!

SteveL27 said:
I thought the matches are to the death.

I am Spartacus!

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway, I guess that this problem can be solved by making it in some kind of Markov chain. I'll try to find the solution if I'm bored.

One can only become The Champion if one is undefeated. Thus, if nobody whatsoever makes it to the second round, there is no champion. Baaad omen, presumably.

The weapons used are such that fights are typically to incapacitation rather than death, and killing one's opponent is frowned upon - as a sign of a lack of finesse, if nothing else. Accidental deaths aren't exactly infrequent occurrences either, though.

micromass, if you could just outline the approach, I can probably take it from there. Mainly, my problem is that I have no real handle on how to estimate the chances of someone winning all 2n of their fights in a given round if they are better, in some objective sense, than all of their opponents. Somewhere between 1 and (1/2)^(2n), obviously, but that's not much help.

1. What is the purpose of the Maths: Gladiatorial league?

The purpose of the Maths: Gladiatorial league is to inspire students to improve their mathematical skills through friendly competition. It also aims to increase interest and engagement in math by using a unique and exciting format.

2. How does the Maths: Gladiatorial league work?

The Maths: Gladiatorial league is a competition in which teams of students from different schools compete against each other in solving mathematical problems. Each round consists of a set of questions that teams must work together to solve within a given time limit. The team with the most correct answers wins the round.

3. Who can participate in the Maths: Gladiatorial league?

The Maths: Gladiatorial league is open to students from all schools who have a passion for math and are looking to improve their skills. Teams are typically composed of 4-6 students and can be formed by schools or groups of students.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the Maths: Gladiatorial league?

Participating in the Maths: Gladiatorial league can have various benefits, including improving mathematical skills, developing teamwork and problem-solving abilities, and boosting confidence and motivation in students. It also provides a fun and engaging way for students to learn and apply math concepts.

5. How can I get involved in the Maths: Gladiatorial league?

If you are a student, you can reach out to your school's math department to see if they have a team. If not, you can gather a group of friends and form your own team. If you are a teacher or school administrator, you can register your school to participate in the league. You can also volunteer to be a judge or organizer for the competition.