What is the most commonly read version of the Bible in the United States?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
In summary: And no, I don't mean James Buchanan.In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to read the Bible and asks for recommendations on which version to read. The King James Bible is mentioned as a popular version and there is a discussion about the different books in the Bible and which version includes them. The conversation also touches on the idea of reading the Bible as a fiction work and the benefits of doing so. The conversation ends with a mention of a rumor about the authorship of the King James Bible by a gay individual.
mattmns
I would like to read the bible. What is the popular version that is usually read? I have heard of the King James Bible a few times, so I am thinking that this is the main one? Also, do churces, or other groups, give out free bibles, because not having to buy one would be cool :smile:

And there are books right, like old testament new testament. Would the King James Bible include both? Also, what is the Bible that Christians go by (they go by the one with the old and new testaments right?): The majority of them that is, in the United States. Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mattmns said:
I would like to read the bible.

I've deleted the (maybe) offending message... o:)

Danievil.

Last edited:
Try - http://www.biblegateway.com/

They have many versions on-line. King James or Revised Standard Version (RSV) used by several mainstream Protestant denominations, and I would recommend either. The newer versions (New International . . .) make additional changes in the English language.

Then there is the Catholic Apocrypha (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01601a.htm) with additional books.

For the old testament, I also recommend the Stone Tanach. It is interesting to compare English translations across several versions. For the old testament, the English in the Stone Tanach is more reliable, and there is Hebrew text as well.

No endorsement is expressed or implied.

mattmns said:
I would like to read the bible. What is the popular version that is usually read? I have heard of the King James Bible a few times, so I am thinking that this is the main one? Also, do churces, or other groups, give out free bibles, because not having to buy one would be cool :smile:

And there are books right, like old testament new testament. Would the King James Bible include both? Also, what is the Bible that Christians go by (they go by the one with the old and new testaments right?): The majority of them that is, in the United States. Thanks.

Do i have permission to conduct an anthropological experiment with this?

I would like to send this in as a "Letter to the Editor" of a Mobile, Alabama newspaper, and watch the ensuing culture shock, and possible collapse of society in the area.

Can i please? o:)

dextercioby said:
I've deleted the (maybe) offending message... o:)

Danievil.

Aww, what was it?

Astronuc said:
Try - http://www.biblegateway.com/

They have many versions on-line. King James or Revised Standard Version (RSV) used by several mainstream Protestant denominations, and I would recommend either. The newer versions (New International . . .) make additional changes in the English language.

Then there is the Catholic Apocrypha (http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01601a.htm) with additional books.

For the old testament, I also recommend the Stone Tanach. It is interesting to compare English translations across several versions. For the old testament, the English in the Stone Tanach is more reliable, and there is Hebrew text as well.

No endorsement is expressed or implied.
Thanks Astronuc, I will check out those sites in a few seconds :smile:

franznietzsche said:
Do i have permission to conduct an anthropological experiment with this?

I would like to send this in as a "Letter to the Editor" of a Mobile, Alabama newspaper, and watch the ensuing culture shock, and possible collapse of society in the area.

Can i please?

Sure, go for it.

Last edited:
You want to read Bib lie ?

spender said:
You want to read Bib lie ?
Which version of the Bible did you read?

Do not worry, the last thing I will do is convert to Christianity. Also, in case you are wondering, I will be reading it with the idea that it is a fiction work. This is why I am leaning towards the King James version. From what I have heard, it was/is nicely written.

mattmns said:
I will be reading it with the idea that it is a fiction work.

Now you talking !

As to me reading new or old testament, i have tried but could not stomach all the violence,murders etc in old testament and to a lesser extent in new.

mattmns said:
Which version of the Bible did you read?

Do not worry, the last thing I will do is convert to Christianity. Also, in case you are wondering, I will be reading it with the idea that it is a fiction work. This is why I am leaning towards the King James version. From what I have heard, it was/is nicely written.

Jeebus Christo! My bibel expluded!

In high school they decreed in English class that you can't understand Western literature unless you've read the Bible so hence we read all the important parts of the Old and New Testament (we were a secular private school and could hence get away with such things). For the very same reason I'd highly recommend reading it to anyone.
The "standard" Bible most people think of first whenever they think of the Bible is the King James Version, which was the first Bible translated into English. Sometimes the wording's a bit confusing but overall I think it's phrased better.

Andromeda321 said:
In high school they decreed in English class that you can't understand Western literature unless you've read the Bible

I agree, mostly. You can get away having not read it if you're well enough read in other literature that biblical references just become easy to spot. But its true, classical and modern literature are full of biblical references. My high school, california public high school, offered 3 senior year english classes, british lit, science fiction lit, and bible lit, but few college bound people took those anyway, we all took AP and IB english classes.

Yes, that is one of the main reasons why I want to read it. Thanks, I will definitely go pick up a King James Bible one of these days.

Speaking of the KJV, I'm sure some of you (actually, anyone but matt) may know of this little curiosity. There is this rumor that the KJV may have in part (at least) been written by a famous dude who was 46 years old when he was writing it. To find out who the dude is go to Psalms 46, and extract the 46th words from the beginning and end of the chapter.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore will not we fear, though the Earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;
Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof.
There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.
God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.
The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the Earth melted.
The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.
Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth.
He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.
Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.
The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge.

Gokul43201 said:
Speaking of the KJV, I'm sure some of you (actually, anyone but matt) may know of this little curiosity. There is this rumor that the KJV may have in part (at least) been written by a famous dude who was 46 years old when he was writing it. To find out who the dude is go to Psalms 46, and extract the 46th words from the beginning and end of the chapter.

Hardy har har.

And to think i actually sat here and counted 46 words from both ends.

Hmm, I counted 46 words back and forward. Got Shake and Spear. Then sadly I did not get it, rofl, so I looked it up on google and found on wikipedia that there is a rumor that Shakespeare translated part of it. :eek:

The King James version is written in more poetic language, but is not regarded as being an accurate interpretation.

I recommend either the Revised Standard Version or The New Revised Standard Version.

In any case, get a study version which will include maps, footnotes to clarify meaning of the passages and add historical background.

Happy reading.

Hey, matt, if you're still looking...I, personally, prefer the "New World Translation". Aside from the fact that it's published by JWs (and is thus *free*), it is in very clear, modern vernacular (as opposed to KJV), and it has references all throughout, that connect related scriptures (the principle being that the whole Bible should be taken as, not many separate works, but one cohesive whole; and that different parts of the Bible supplement one another). It's also got some interesting appendices.

i would advise against reading these new versions. If you're reading for the purpose of understanding literary references to the bible, these new versions will be much less useful. The skeptic's annotated, while entertaining for atheists, will be close to worthless.

Yes, I have decided to read the KJV. After I read it I might read the other versions. Thanks to everyone and their input.

mattmns said:
Yes, I have decided to read the KJV. After I read it I might read the other versions. Thanks to everyone and their input.
I still recommend a study version (of the KJV since that is the one you have chosen). The additional historical references, background, cross references, maps appendices, etc. are helpful.

Artman said:
I still recommend a study version (of the KJV since that is the one you have chosen). The additional historical references, background, cross references, maps appendices, etc. are helpful.

Nice for historical or religious study, but not as good for literary purposes.

franznietzsche said:
True, but sometimes you read something that makes you go, "Huh?" and the notes give you the cross reference or explain the term so it makes more sense.

Yep, same reason they put all those little footnotes into Shakespeare plays. Plus a little background and history about the ancient world never hurt anyone anyway.

Been reading 20 posts or so in this thread,yet i don't have a clue about 2 things
1.Why the hell would the OP want to read the bible...?
2.Who the hell is king James...?I mean what number...?The IV-th...?The II-nd...?Is he a relative to King Kong or to the King himself (a.k.a.Elvis)...?

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Been reading 20 posts or so in this thread,yet i don't have a clue about 2 things
1.Why the hell would the OP want to read the bible...?
2.Who the hell is king James...?I mean what number...?The IV-th...?The II-nd...?Is he a relative to King Kong or to the King himself (a.k.a.Elvis)...?

Daniel.
1. Who the hell is the OP?

2. King James 1st.

The (most) Original Poster,which is ME,of course...:tongue2:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
2.Who the hell is king James...?I mean what number...?
I or VI, depending if you are south or north of Hadrian's wall...

Andromeda321 said:
The "standard" Bible most people think of first whenever they think of the Bible is the King James Version, which was the first Bible translated into English.
The KJV (1611) is not actually the first translation into English. It is largely a revision of an earlier translation begun by William Tyndale (in open defiance of the Pope) and completed by one of his students in the 1530's. (And since Henry VIII had recently decided he wanted a divorce, His Majesty allowed this version to be distributed. :wink:)

However, the first complete translation into English (well, Middle English I assume...) was organized by John Wycliffe and completed in 1384.

franznietzsche said:

I don't know. If the intention is to understand literary references to the Bible, then the better you understand how other people are reading those verses, the more chance you'll catch the allusions in literature. Besides, getting to look at maps breaks up the monotony of some of the books.

mattmns said:
What is the popular version that is usually read?

Tends to be Church-specific.
Personally, I'd recommend the Revised Standard Version (I'm not promoting a particular Church here...it's just a version I find easy to read yet still poetic).

The New Testament is what makes a Bible Christian.
The Old Testament is shared by the major religions of the world in different forms.

What is the fascination of most Americans with bible stuff ? In Europe if I told my friends that I intend to read bible I would be laughing stock.Is America so naive as to take serriously this gibberish and utter nonsense.For me old testament is complete BS (simply waste of paper and ink),new testament also but has some slight improvements and parables still valid in our modern world.

With respect to the old testament, and interesting book to read is "The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Israel and the Origin of Its Sacred Texts" by Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman.

The chronology of the events in the old testament is analyzed and sometimes disputed with archeological evidence.

Understanding the old testament is necessary to understand some of the meaning in the new testament.

If one is just interested in the moral teachings of Jesus (Derech of Yeshua), then these can be found in the 4 gospels.

Then one should probably read the Qu'ran, Zend Avesta, Upanishads and Vedas, Tripitaka, Tao Te Ching, and the teachings of K'ung Fu-tzu, Meng Tzu and Chuang Tzu, and Baha-U-Llah and Abdul Baha. All deal with aspects of morality and ethical behavior.

Moonbear said:
I don't know. If the intention is to understand literary references to the Bible, then the better you understand how other people are reading those verses, the more chance you'll catch the allusions in literature.

Not really, since many allusions are directly related to the language of the bible. Reading a modern translation loses that.

spender said:
For me old testament is complete BS (simply waste of paper and ink)

What are you on about?! There's some incredible stories in the old testament. If you take them at face value, and read them as stories, there's some damn good cheese!

Saying it's a waste of paper and ink is like saying Shakespeare is a waste of paper and ink. Stories spender. They're just stories.

I read The Very Hungry Caterpillar when I was small. It's a fantastic read, but that doesn't mean I'm some kind of caterpillar worshipping fiend!