How can I add overload protection to my current limit circuit?

• Thread starter mariuszoll
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protection
In summary: Can you please try again? In summary, the current limit protection circuit allows the user to set a limit on the current that the device can handle, and it has an overload protection circuit to shut down the device in case of a short circuit.
mariuszoll
Hi,

I made a current limit protection circuit at 1A, and I would like to improve it with an overload protection.
Could you give me please some ideas how to switch off the mosfet when the load current exceed 1A?

Thank you

Attachments

• Current Limiter Circuit.JPG
    Current Limiter Circuit.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 480
Engineering news on Phys.org
mariuszoll said:
I made a current limit protection circuit at 1A, and I would like to improve it with an overload protection. Could you give me please some ideas how to switch off the mosfet when the load current exceed 1A?
Can you explain how the current limit protection circuit works?

Hi,

under normal conditions transistor Q1 is blocked. R2 is used to sense the current through it. When current is 1A, the voltage drop over R2 is 0.7V and Q1 is turned on, which in turns increase the voltage on the gate of M1, and keep it at the limit of conduction.
R4 is used to limit the Q1 base current in case of a load short circuit.
R1 allows M1 to turn on and pass the voltage and current to the load.
And thus, the current limitation is made.

What do you mean by overload protection and how is it different from what you already have?

I agree with gnurf. It looks like you already have a pretty effective overload protection circuit. What more do you want? Do you want it to shut down completely at some point? If so you have to define what it is that should cause the circuit to shut down.

Hi,

Beside this current limitation, I would like also, to shut down the circuit when current becomes equal or higher than 1A.
If you could give me some ideas how to do it, I would appreciate it.

Thank you

mariuszoll said:
Beside this current limitation, I would like also, to shut down the circuit when current becomes equal or higher than 1A. If you could give me some ideas how to do it, I would appreciate it.
I think you're looking for a "latched overcurrent fault detector". In the article linked to below they use a latching comparator that turns off the FET when the current exceeds the limit. Hopefully that might give you some ideas!

http://powerelectronics.com/mag/510PET07.pdf
http://www.maximintegrated.com/datasheet/index.mvp/id/2204

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi gnurf,

Thank you for the articles, they are very good. Do you know how I can do the same thing but with discrete components?
I tried to improve the previous circuit, in order to switch off the mosfet, but without good results. You can find attached the circuit.

Thank you

I think that there was a problem with the attachement.

Attachments

• Overcurrent protection.jpg
    Overcurrent protection.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 449

What is overload protection and why is it important?

Overload protection is a safety feature in electrical systems that prevents damage or malfunction caused by excessive current. It is important because it helps to protect equipment and prevent potential hazards such as fires.

How does overload protection work?

Overload protection works by monitoring the amount of current flowing through a circuit. If the current exceeds a predetermined limit, the protection device will trip and interrupt the flow of electricity to prevent damage.

What types of devices can be used for overload protection?

There are several types of devices that can be used for overload protection, including circuit breakers, fuses, and thermal overload relays. Each type has its own unique features and advantages, and the best choice depends on the specific application.

What are some common causes of overload in electrical systems?

Overload in electrical systems can be caused by a variety of factors, such as too many appliances or devices connected to a single circuit, short circuits, or faulty wiring. It can also occur due to power surges or fluctuations in voltage.

How can I ensure proper overload protection in my electrical system?

The best way to ensure proper overload protection in an electrical system is to have a professional electrician perform a thorough inspection and make any necessary upgrades or repairs. It is also important to regularly check and maintain all electrical equipment to prevent overload situations.