The Holonomy Expansion for Hamiltonian in LQG

In summary, Rovelli's book discusses the Hamiltonian operator for LQG in chapter 7. In this chapter, he manipulates the form of the operator and makes two expansions involving the parameter epsilon. The first expansion involves a point x and a tangent vector u, while the second expansion involves a point x and two tangent vectors u and v. These expansions are related to the curvature F of a connection A, which tells us what happens when we go around a small loop. The second equation involves the evaluation of a 2-form around an infinitesimal loop based at the point x.
jfy4
In Rovelli's book, in chapter 7 it talks about the Hamiltonian operator for LQG. In manipulating the form for the Hamiltonian operator Rovelli makes the following expansions
[tex]
U(A,\gamma_{x,u})=1+\varepsilon u^a A_a(x)+\mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^2)
[/tex]
where by fixing a point [itex]x[/itex] and a tangent vector [itex]u[/itex] at [itex]x[/itex], and a path [itex]\gamma_{x,u}[/itex] of corrdinate length [itex]\varepsilon[/itex] that starts at [itex]x[/itex] and is tangent to [itex]u[/itex]. Next he takes a point [itex]x[/itex] and puts two tangent vectors on it [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] and considers a small triagular loop [itex]\alpha_{x,u\,v}[/itex] with one vertex at [itex]x[/itex], and two sides tangent to [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] each of length [itex]\varepsilon[/itex]. He expands again
[tex]
U(A,\alpha_{x,u\, v})=1+\frac{1}{2}\varepsilon^2 u^a v^b F_{ab}(x)+\mathcal{O}(\varepsilon^3)
[/tex]

My question is, how do these expansions follow from the description above. In one expansions he seems to have series expanded to linear order, and it seems to have to do with [itex]\varepsilon[/itex], but in the other he expanded to second order, but the linear order term seems to vanish for some reason, and it also seems to depend on [itex]\varepsilon[/itex]. Please, some enlightenment would be great, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi J, several others here can give a more satisfactory answer but I'll take as stab at it. I haven't looked in the chapter, just at your post, but at first sight it strikes me that this is almost *by definition* of the curvature F of a connection A.

BTW you did a nice job of transcribing in LaTex! I assume it is an exact copy of what is in the book. Rovelli has a page near the beginning where he lists his standard notation and if I remember right A is standard for a connection and F for the curvature.

A connection A tells you how things change as you go along a path, and the curvature F tells you what happens if you use that connection A to go around a loop. So the equivalence seems almost automatic to me. I can't think of anything really helpful that I can say about this, but hopefully one of the others (Tom, Demy?) can make it clearer.

Actually the curvature F of a connection A is a "differential form"--a *two-form* that tells you about going around a *very small* loop, and that appears to be what is happening in the second equation. It is the evaluation of a 2-form as if around an infinitesimal loop based at the point x.

Last edited:

1. What is the Holonomy Expansion for Hamiltonian in LQG?

The Holonomy Expansion for Hamiltonian in LQG (Loop Quantum Gravity) is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of space-time at the quantum level. It is based on the principle that space and time are discrete and granular, rather than continuous and smooth as described by classical physics.

2. How does the Holonomy Expansion for Hamiltonian in LQG differ from other theories of quantum gravity?

The Holonomy Expansion approach differs from other theories of quantum gravity, such as string theory and general relativity, in its treatment of space and time as discrete entities. It also differs in its use of loop-like structures called spin networks to describe the geometry of space-time.

3. What is the significance of the Holonomy Expansion for understanding the nature of the universe?

The Holonomy Expansion for Hamiltonian in LQG is a promising approach towards a theory of quantum gravity, which seeks to reconcile the principles of quantum mechanics and general relativity. Understanding the nature of the universe at the quantum level is crucial for gaining a complete understanding of the fundamental laws of physics.

4. What are the potential applications of the Holonomy Expansion for Hamiltonian in LQG?

One potential application of the Holonomy Expansion is in the study of the early universe, where quantum gravitational effects are thought to have played a significant role. It may also have implications for understanding black holes and the behavior of matter at high energies.

5. Are there any challenges or limitations to the Holonomy Expansion for Hamiltonian in LQG?

Like any scientific theory, the Holonomy Expansion for Hamiltonian in LQG has its limitations and challenges. One major challenge is the difficulty in reconciling it with other theories, such as general relativity, and developing a complete mathematical framework. Additionally, there is currently no experimental evidence to support the predictions of the theory, making it difficult to test and validate.