Cannot start Uni for 4 years what can I do to prepare?

In summary, due to my job contract, I cannot return to college for 4 years. I only graduated with a 2 year degree in business, and want to go back and do an engineering degree. The highest math I have completed is trig but that was years ago. I am 25 now, and am on my path to return to school for electrical engineering. I was wondering what kind of self-study and other things I can do to prepare myself. I will be financially prepared for school, so that is not something I am worried about. If your planning on starting the degree from the beginning, as it sounds you are, I would say that basic calculus is your best starting point (and is probably the only thing you
KillJoy3
Hello, so due to my job contract I cannot return to college for 4 years. I only graduated with a 2 year degree in business and want to go back to do an engineering degree. The highest math I have completed is trig but that was years ago I am 25 now. So now I am on my path to return to school for electrical engineering and was wondering what kinds of self study and other things I can do to prepare myself. I will be financially prepared for school so that is not something I am worried about.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
If your planning on starting the degree from the beginning, as it sounds you are, I would say that basic calculus is your best starting point (and is probably the only thing you need for now). If you feel too rusty to start calc, then review some trig and advanced algebra. Certainly differential and integral calculus would be a plus going into school, and if you get through that, then move on to differential equations.

Aside from math though: seeing as your planning on EE, I think you'd really do yourself a favor by learning some programming. As far as I'm aware (I'm a physics major but have several good friends who are EE's), most EE programming is done in C, C++, or the dreaded Assembler. With that said, my suggestion would be to start out with a relatively straightforward high-level language like Python. The syntax is pretty intuitive and it'll give you a good feel for how programming works; then when you move on to C, etc. it'll be a much easier transition.

Buy the following books and do most of the problems in them:

Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday
Statics by Bedford and Fowler
Dynamics by Bedford and Fowler
Calculus by Stewart
Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems by Boyce and Diprima

Plus try to find a book in vector calculus and one in chemistry. That should keep you busy for a year or two.

If you really have sufficient time to study material... I'd suggest trying to test out of courses when you first enter school down the road. You could look into CLEP and see if where you will be going accepts those exams. Could save you time.

I'm assuming you're in the military. The great thing is you don't have to do this alone. You should be able to take college classes at your education center taking Algebra, trig, even calculus at some places to help brush up your mathematical skills to the level needed. Use your TA to your advantage and try to take as many general education courses as possible. You may not be able to take calculus based physics but there usually is a algebra based physics and basic programming classes. Depending on your MOS/Rate you could possibly even get more stuff for free.

Angry Citizen said:
Buy the following books and do most of the problems in them:

Fundamentals of Physics by Halliday
Statics by Bedford and Fowler
Dynamics by Bedford and Fowler
Calculus by Stewart
Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems by Boyce and Diprima

Plus try to find a book in vector calculus and one in chemistry. That should keep you busy for a year or two.

I agree with all of these, except I would replace 'Stewart' with 'Thomas', or if you're adventurous 'Apostol' or 'Spivak'. Also, as a conceptual supplement to your main calculus text, I would definitely recommend Calculus Made Easy by Thompson. The text on introductory differential calculus by Leonhard Euler (yes, that Euler) is also a good read.

The book A Student's Guide to Vectors and Tensors is a superb (though not rigorous) intro to both vectors and tensors. Also good for vectors is the first part of Einstein's Theory: A Rigorous Introduction for the Mathematically Untrained by Gron and Naess.

For chemistry, Zumdahl and Zumdahl is the best I've come across, with Chemistry: The Central Science coming in as a runner-up.

Good Luck!

FV89

P.S. For practicing plug-and-chug Calc, Trig, or Algebra problems, there's nothing better in my opinion than The Humongous Book of <Fill in Subject> Problems series by Michael Kelley. Those books helped me get prepare for the classes I'm in now.

1. What skills should I focus on developing during the 4-year gap before starting university?

During this time, you can focus on developing both academic and non-academic skills. For academic skills, you can work on improving your critical thinking, time management, and research abilities. Non-academic skills could include communication, teamwork, and problem-solving.

2. How can I stay academically engaged during the gap years?

There are several ways to stay academically engaged during this time. You can enroll in online courses, attend workshops or seminars, volunteer in a related field, or even start your own research project. These activities will not only keep your mind sharp but also demonstrate your dedication to your chosen field.

3. What can I do to make my university application stand out during the gap years?

There are a few things you can do to make your university application stand out. Firstly, you can use this time to gain relevant work experience or internships. Secondly, you can participate in extracurricular activities, such as joining clubs or organizations related to your field of interest. Finally, you can also showcase any personal projects or initiatives that you have undertaken during this time.

4. How can I financially prepare for university during the gap years?

One way to financially prepare for university during the gap years is to start researching and applying for scholarships and grants. You can also consider taking on a part-time job or internship to start saving for your future education expenses. Additionally, you can create a budget and start saving money from now to cover your living expenses during university.

5. What are some resources I can use to help me prepare for university during the gap years?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for university during the gap years. You can utilize online platforms such as Khan Academy or Coursera to access free courses and educational materials. You can also reach out to current university students or professors for advice and guidance. Additionally, your local library or community center may offer workshops or resources on university preparation.