Find the values of a for real and distinct roots

• Thread starter utkarshakash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Roots
In summary, Dick found two real and distinct roots for the equation a-1)(x^2+x+1)^2=(a+1)(x^4+x^2+1) by expanding it and noticing that x^2+x+1=y and then factoring it.
utkarshakash
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find the values of 'a' so that two of the roots of the equation [itex](a-1)(x^2+x+1)^2=(a+1)(x^4+x^2+1)[/itex] are real and distinct

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am thinking of converting this equation in quadratic form so that I can find discriminant and make it greater than 0.
This is how I started
Let [itex] x^2+x+1=y[/itex]
[itex](a-1)y^2=(a+1)(x^4+x^2+1)[/itex]
But I'm stuck here. The fourth degree term still prevails.
Is there any way this equation can be converted to a quadratic?

Physics news on Phys.org
hi utkarshakash! :smile:
utkarshakash said:
Find the values of 'a' so that two of the roots of the equation [itex](a-1)(x^2+x+1)^2=(a+1)(x^4+x^2+1)[/itex] are real and distinct

if you expand it, isn't it just ax2 = a polynomial in x2? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi utkarshakash! :smile:

if you expand it, isn't it just ax2 = a polynomial in x2? :wink:

But the fourth degree term is still there.

yes, ax2 = a quadratic polynomial in x2 :smile:

utkarshakash said:
But the fourth degree term is still there.

Expand, collect the terms with a and without it,and try to factorise again. The equation becomes quite simple and easy to find those "a" values which ensure real and distinct roots.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Expand, collect the terms with a and without it,and try to factorise again. The equation becomes quite simple and easy to find those "a" values which ensure real and distinct roots.

ehild

Or just notice that x^2+x+1 is a factor of x^4+x^2+1. Either way its pretty easy to write your equation as the product of two quadratics.

Unbelievable, Dick! :smile: x^4+x^2+1=(x^2+x+1)(x^2-x+1)

ehild

ehild said:
Unbelievable, Dick! :smile: x^4+x^2+1=(x^2+x+1)(x^2-x+1)

ehild

Oh, its not exactly unbelievable. I used maxima to put everything together and then factored it and noticed that. I cheated.

I tried to write x^2+x+1=(x^3-1)/(x-1) and x^4+x^2+1=(x^6-1)/(x^2-1)

[tex](a-1)\frac{(x^3-1)^2}{(x-1)^2}=\frac{(x^3-1)(x^3+1)}{(x-1)(x+1)}[/tex] and simplifying (x can not be 1) and still did not notice...

But it becomes
[tex](a-1)\frac{(x^3-1)}{(x-1)}=(a+1)\frac{(x^3+1)}{(x+1)}[/tex]
[tex](a-1)(x^2+x+1)=(a+1)(x^2-x+1)[/tex]

ehild

Dick said:
Or just notice that x^2+x+1 is a factor of x^4+x^2+1. Either way its pretty easy to write your equation as the product of two quadratics.

Thanks. Finally got the answer. Your method was best.

Can you guys please help me out on my other questions?

1. What does it mean to find the values of a for real and distinct roots?

Finding the values of a for real and distinct roots refers to solving the quadratic equation ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are coefficients, in order to determine the values of a that will result in two unique real number solutions for x.

2. How do I find the values of a for real and distinct roots?

To find the values of a for real and distinct roots, you can use the quadratic formula: a = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2. This formula will give you two possible values for a, which will result in two distinct real number solutions for x when substituted into the original equation.

3. Why is it important to find the values of a for real and distinct roots?

Finding the values of a for real and distinct roots is important because it allows us to determine the nature of the solutions to a quadratic equation. If a is a real number, then the solutions will be two distinct real numbers. However, if a is a complex number, then the solutions will be two complex numbers.

4. Can the values of a for real and distinct roots be negative?

Yes, the values of a for real and distinct roots can be negative. The values of a depend on the coefficients b and c in the quadratic equation, and these coefficients can be positive, negative, or zero. Therefore, it is possible for the values of a to be negative and still result in two distinct real number solutions for x.

5. What is the difference between real and distinct roots?

Real roots refer to solutions to a quadratic equation that are real numbers, meaning they can be plotted on the number line. Distinct roots, on the other hand, refer to solutions that are unique and different from each other. In the context of finding the values of a for real and distinct roots, it means that there are two different real numbers that satisfy the quadratic equation when a certain value is substituted for a.