Sick freak kills first-graders

• News
  • Thread starter Jack21222
  • Start date
In summary: I believe she was found dead in his home...They just released his name, apparently he killed his father in New Jersey, went to Newtown killed his mother who worked at the elementary school (which so far is the only connection they have found between him and the school). Then he went to the school...Which news are you listening to?I don't know how anyone could do this. It's just so senseless. I don't know how anyone could do this. It's just so senseless.
Jack21222
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-connecticut-school-shooting-20121214,0,4678476.story

NEWTOWN, Conn.—
An official with knowledge of Connecticut school shooting tells the Associated Press that 27 people are dead, including 18 children. Many of the shootings took place in a kindergarten classroom, sources told the Hartford Courant. The gunman is reported dead.

I am at a loss of words here. I can almost, almost (but not quite) understand it when a bullied high schooler brings a gun to school and shoots his high school bullies. But what could possibly go through an adult's mind to convince him to grab several guns and shoot up kindergarten classes?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Jack21222 said:
I am at a loss of words here.

Nuff said. I'm beyond done with this. We need to do whatever it takes to stop this trend.

My fiance works at an elementary school. I almost hope she doesn't read about this.

Last edited:

@ kktv11news : Child victims were just 5-10 years old. CBS says they were killed execution-style. 2nd suspect in custody, not clear yet if he was involved.

Also heard most were from one classroom. Close to 30 dead now. This is so bad.

PLEASE don't use this tragic event to further your opinion of guns laws. This is not the time or place.

I just don't understand how he could kill an entire classroom full of elementary children. Seriously, if you can't take it anymore then get yourself out of the game but leave everyone else alone! I have heard of some cowardly acts but this one is just beyond words. There are 20+ parents who just got the worst news you could possibly receive, I can't even comprehend it...

The gunman's mother is a teacher at the school.

IMP said:
I just don't understand how he could kill an entire classroom full of elementary children.
Is this really all that surprising? People are acting like it's a novel act never before seen in recent history. Humans are evil creatures and are capable of horrible things. Sadly those poor children had to be at the blunt end of that.

WannabeNewton said:
Is this really all that surprising?

The minute it doesn't become surprising or shocking is the minute I give up on humanity.

WannabeNewton said:
Is this really all that surprising? People are acting like it's a novel act never before seen in recent history. Humans are evil creatures and are capable of horrible things. Sadly those poor children had to be at the blunt end of that.

It is way beyond surprising, I can't even comprehend that someone could actually do this.

IMP said:
It is way beyond surprising, I can't even comprehend that someone could actually do this.
People do these kinds of things all the time...it's horrible but it isn't rare

Evo said:
The gunman's mother is a teacher at the school.

I believe she was found dead in his home...

They just released his name, apparently he killed his father in New Jersey, went to Newtown killed his mother who worked at the elementary school (which so far is the only connection they have found between him and the school). Then he went to the school...

IMP said:
They just released his name, apparently he killed his father in New Jersey, went to Newtown killed his mother who worked at the elementary school (which so far is the only connection they have found between him and the school). Then he went to the school...
Which news are you listening to?

WannabeNewton said:
People do these kinds of things all the time...it's horrible but it isn't rare

Really!? Find me the last time a guy killed his mom, dad and 30 kids/adults at an elementary school. I'll give you gold membership for life if you can find that act happen within the last year.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Really!? Find me the last time a guy killed his mom, dad and 30 kids/adults at an elementary school. I'll give you gold membership for life if you can find that act happen within the last year.
Are you actually questioning that these kinds of atrocities don't go on in various third world countries (Thailand, Indonesia, Burma, subsets of Africa and South America etc.)? I'm not saying it is anything specific to schools but mass murder of children is not something that doesn't happen frequently in the world. America isn't the only country in existence. Anyways, the point is that humans are terrible creatures and this kind of appalling behavior is a testament to how messed up this species has become but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people do these things.

WannabeNewton said:
America isn't the only country in existence.

My vote and voice doesn't count in other countries. Obviously I am focused on the American culture at the moment.

WannabeNewton said:
Are you actually questioning that these kinds of atrocities don't go on in various third world countries (Thailand, Indonesia, Burma, subsets of Africa and South America etc.)? I'm not saying it is anything specific to schools but mass murder of children is not something that doesn't happen frequently in the world. America isn't the only country in existence. Anyways, the point is that humans are terrible creatures and this kind of appalling behavior is a testament to how messed up this species has become but it shouldn't come as a surprise that people do these things.
I am glad I am not desensitized to events like this regardless of how "common" they may be. I try to put myself in one of those parents shoes: Go home, see presents under Christmas tree, never to be opened by anyone, plan funeral instead. I really just can't comprehend how I would be able to deal with something like this if it was my child. I can't wait to get home tonight and hug my kids, they are in for a very hard embrace...

IMP said:
I just don't understand how he could kill an entire classroom full of elementary children. Seriously, if you can't take it anymore then get yourself out of the game but leave everyone else alone! I have heard of some cowardly acts but this one is just beyond words. There are 20+ parents who just got the worst news you could possibly receive, I can't even comprehend it...
You've said it better than I could. I can't comprehend how someone could do something like this to small children.

Greg Bernhardt said:

The 1966 UT Austin Texas sniper did something similar. The conclusion was that he was suffering from a brain tumor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Austin_sniper

WannabeNewton said:
Humans are evil creatures

I strongly disagree with this. If this was true, we'd be praising this guy for killing so many evil creatures. People are fundamentally good, which is exactly why acts like this are so shocking.

I've decided that I don't want to know this guy's name. He doesn't deserve a name. Bacteria don't have individual names, and this guy is lower than that.

Jack21222 said:
I strongly disagree with this. If this was true, we'd be praising this guy for killing so many evil creatures. People are fundamentally good, which is exactly why acts like this are so shocking.

I've decided that I don't want to know this guy's name. He doesn't deserve a name. Bacteria don't have individual names, and this guy is lower than that.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=653470

In China today someone killed 22 children with a KNIFE.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-20723910

http://news.yahoo.com/knife-wielding-man-injures-22-children-china-064458804.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=DTN+China:

Greg Bernhardt said:

Well he didn't kill his parents as far as I can read so far but its close enough:

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/asia-pacific/knifewielding-villager-attacks-22-children-in-chinese-village-3325907.html

E: Didn't see the post above before I posted.

czelaya said:

http://news.yahoo.com/knife-wielding-man-injures-22-children-china-064458804.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=DTN+China:
Those children were injured - not killed. Doesn't make it any less serious but, the parents of those children will get to see their kids again.

czelaya said:

No, they were wounded, not killed, only 2 seriously wounded, that's the difference between a knife and a gun, fatalities.

WannabeNewton said:

I've seen very well written posts by you in the past, with thoughtfulness & sensible logic. However you comment here...simply out of context.

This isn't about some third world country governed via violence & fear. It is not how things are done here.If there was ever a "Good" reason for a public stoning...it's preventing this from ever happening again. (please America do not put armed guards in PS)

Last edited:

When I look at these events, I see all the suffering and grief that will come as the survivors and families try understand why. Now with the gunman dead they won't have to endure the trial, the pain and frustration that comes with it. At the same time, they will be unable to even vent their anger and it may come out atanyone who says something insensitive.

http://www.pbs.org/thisemotionallife/blogs/offering-support-bereaved-what-not-say

There may even be some members of this forum who will be so affected and I can only hope we will be there for them.

IMP said:

According to cnn.com now, it's his brother (not his father) who's dead in NJ, and he killed his mother at the school.

WannabeNewton said:

Please everyone stop now! This is not a time to debate.

They've just said, 20 children, 6 adults and the shooter at the school, and one person at the family home. For some reason the official law enforcement official refuses to even confirm the shooters name even though the information has already been all over the news.

Oh, they are now saying that the shooter may actually be the brother Adam Lanza, and Ryan Lanza was a victim.

I swear, if this turns out to be some lunatic claiming that he was saving these kids from the upcoming "end of days" I will absolutely lose my $h/t.

Apparently the killers girlfriend and another friend are missing, I wouldn't be surprised if they find a trail of dead before this is over...

source http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/14/police-respond-to-shooting-at-connecticut-elementary-school/

Now they are saying that the brother Ryan Lanza is alive and is being questioned. Ryan Lanza was first wrongly identified as the killer. The killer was 20 year old Adam Lanza.

Evo said:
Now they are saying that the brother Ryan Lanza is alive and is being questioned. Ryan Lanza was first wrongly identified as the killer. The killer was 20 year old Adam Lanza.

Grief, that is a clear example of why you don't leak names so early, if at all.

Back