What is wrong with my theory about universe expanding.

In summary, this theory states that dark energy is a remnant of energy that was present at the big bang or shortly after. It is hypothesized to be slowing the expansion of the universe.
bydie
Hey all,
Just to make it clear I am in no way a scientist or physicist but a mere space enthusiast.
Yesterday I noticed when I was making some lunch that oil in my frying pan starts to ''run away'' from the center of pan towards outer side when heat gets just a little bit higher, since pan is covered in the most slippery thing on Earth, teflon, it occurred to me that I can use that as a model to simulate 0 gravity and vacuum in a 2d form of observing. I added small crunches and the effect was exactly the same, the hotter the center was, the ''particles'' would run away from center faster. So here comes the theory about what dark energy might be. A simple remnant of energy outbursts from exploding stars or colliding galaxies increase temperature of empty space. Is it possible that that small amount of heat is enough to push everything apart until the point where that heat is conflicted with gravity and gravity wins? For that to be slightly less complicated for you to understand since I am having hard time to explain that mess in my head, think about matter in space as one thing, let it be A, and empty space as other thing, the B. B expands on itself because it is slowly heating thus ''carrying'' the A away from each other. Gravity is stronger and it overcomes that heat but bound to matter and it's reach dissipates with distance. Disprove me and let me carry on with my regular life please ^^
Thanks

Space news on Phys.org
A simple remnant of energy outbursts from exploding stars or colliding galaxies increase temperature of empty space.
This temperature is about 3K, and decreasing. Stars and other massive objects do not contribute in a significant way. In General Relativity, such an energy density slows expansion due to gravity (something you do not have in your pan in a significant way). As a result, in the early universe (where gravity<->energy density did win), expansion slowed down. Currently, in our cold universe, dark energy wins, and expansion accelerates.

The biggest problem is posting it on the wrong website.

[QUOTE So here comes the theory about what dark energy might be. A simple remnant ...][/QUOTE]

could be...but not so 'simple'. If dark energy exists at all, it is hypothesized it was present at the big bang or shortly after...

try reading a bit here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_energy

for sharing your theory, but there are a few problems with it. First, your observation of oil moving away from the center of a frying pan is not a good model for the expansion of the universe. The movement of oil is due to the increase in temperature and the properties of teflon, not the concept of gravity and vacuum in space. Also, the behavior of particles in a 2D model does not accurately represent the complexity of the universe in 3D.

Additionally, your theory about dark energy being caused by heat from exploding stars or colliding galaxies is not supported by current evidence. Dark energy is still a mystery in the scientific community and there are multiple theories being explored, but none of them involve heat from these events.

Furthermore, your explanation of gravity and heat pushing matter apart is not consistent with our understanding of these forces. Gravity is a fundamental force that acts on matter, not heat. And while heat can cause expansion, it is not a strong enough force to overcome the pull of gravity on a cosmic scale.

In conclusion, while it is great that you are thinking about and exploring scientific concepts, your theory does not align with current scientific understanding and evidence. It is important to base theories on solid evidence and continue to question and learn from scientific research.

1. What evidence supports the theory of the universe expanding?

The theory of the universe expanding is supported by several pieces of evidence, including the redshift of light from distant galaxies, the cosmic microwave background radiation, and the distribution of galaxies in the observable universe. These observations suggest that the universe is expanding and has been since the Big Bang.

2. How does the theory of the universe expanding explain the observed acceleration of cosmic expansion?

The theory of the universe expanding includes the concept of dark energy, which is a mysterious force that is thought to be causing the acceleration of cosmic expansion. This dark energy is believed to make up about 68% of the total energy in the universe and its presence is necessary to explain the observed acceleration.

3. Can the theory of the universe expanding be tested or proven?

While the theory of the universe expanding is widely accepted by the scientific community, it is continuously tested and refined through observations and experiments. However, it is not possible to prove the theory with absolute certainty, as the nature of the universe and its expansion is still not fully understood.

4. Are there any alternative theories to explain the expansion of the universe?

There are several alternative theories that attempt to explain the expansion of the universe, such as the Steady State theory and the Oscillating universe theory. However, these theories have been largely disproven by observational evidence and the theory of the universe expanding remains the most widely accepted explanation.

5. What are the implications of the theory of the universe expanding?

The theory of the universe expanding has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its future. It suggests that the universe is constantly expanding and will continue to do so indefinitely, potentially leading to a cold and lonely end known as the "heat death" of the universe. It also has implications for understanding the origins of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics.