Buy Chemicals Online: Where to Find the Cheapest Prices

• Thread starter jzq
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, the availability of purchasing chemicals online or anywhere varies depending on the type of chemical. Some chemicals are heavily regulated due to their hazardous nature, while others are more readily available to individuals. When purchasing acids, they will only be sold in diluted forms due to safety regulations. As an individual, you may need to comparison shop for the best prices, as well as consider shipping fees. Some chemicals may only be sold to institutions, so it is recommended to get to know a local chemical supply house or check online for availability. It is legal to purchase chemicals as a legal adult, but some suppliers may have additional regulations.
jzq
Can individuals purchase chemicals online/anywhere or is it illegal? If it is legal, I would like to know the cheapest place to purchase them online.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
It depends on the chemicals you're interested in purchasing. Some are heavily regulated due to their hazardous nature, others are more readily available to individuals.

Moonbear said:
It depends on the chemicals you're interested in purchasing. Some are heavily regulated due to their hazardous nature, others are more readily available to individuals.
Acids? And where is the cheapest place to buy them online?

Keep in mind that for ordering acids, you're only going to be able to get them fairly dilute because concentrated acids are considered hazardous materials, and will only be sold to institutions (and some acids you may not be able to purchase at all as an individual).

I can't tell you who would offer the best price for individual purchases since I have to purchase through university approved vendors (because they have all the documentation processed to be allowed to sell us the more regulated chemicals). You will have to comparison shop (a google search will bring up plenty of vendors).

If you find one vendor with a better price than another for one product, don't assume they have better prices on all their products. Also, watch the shipping fees. Those can vary quite a bit and sometimes a better priced item has a higher priced shipping fee that makes it overall more expensive.

So if there was a supplier around my area close enough for me just to go and pick it up, I'd still need special clearance to purchase chemicals? Are they only regulated online because of the dangers of shipping or are they regulated everywhere because of hazards in general?

Last edited:
The ones that are regulated are regulated everywhere, and yes, it's because of their hazardous nature. Regulation as hazardous can be for several reasons: safe handling requires special precautions or equipment; requirements for proper disposal of waste; potential for misuse.

You can legally purchase any kind of chemical, except some that are used in making illegal drugs, provided you're a legal adult (some states may have additional laws, though). However, many chemical supply houses will only sell hazardous chemicals to institutions, due to potential liability problems. My suggestion is to try to find a local chemical supply house that isn't one of the big chains, and get to know them. Also, check the Internet (including E-bay) for chemical availability. You can get all sorts of things through mail-order, though the shipping costs for items like concentrated acids can be outrageous.

http://sciencekit.com/category.asp_Q_c_E_427177

some basic stuff that won't land you your own cell in the state penn. hope it helps

Fibonacci

p.s.
go to google and type in 'chemical suplies' or like stuff, it helps

Last edited by a moderator:

What are the benefits of buying chemicals online?

Buying chemicals online allows for convenience, as you can easily compare prices and products from the comfort of your own home or laboratory. It also offers a larger selection of chemicals, as online retailers often have a wider range of inventory than physical stores. Additionally, purchasing online can often result in lower prices due to reduced overhead costs for the retailer.

How can I ensure the quality and safety of chemicals purchased online?

It is important to thoroughly research the online retailer before making a purchase. Look for reviews and ratings from previous customers, and make sure the retailer has proper certifications and safety measures in place. It is also a good idea to purchase from reputable brands or manufacturers.

What factors should I consider when comparing prices for chemicals online?

When comparing prices, it is important to consider the quantity and purity of the chemicals, as well as any additional fees such as shipping or handling. It is also important to factor in the reputation and reliability of the retailer, as lower prices may not always indicate the best quality.

Are there any risks associated with buying chemicals online?

There can be potential risks when purchasing chemicals online, as you may not be able to physically inspect the product before purchasing. It is important to thoroughly research the retailer and product, and to follow proper safety protocols when handling and storing the chemicals upon delivery.

Are there any regulations or restrictions for buying chemicals online?

Yes, there are regulations and restrictions for purchasing certain types of chemicals online, especially those that are considered hazardous or controlled substances. It is important to research and comply with all applicable laws and regulations before making a purchase.