Maximizing Savings: Understanding Annuities for Long-Term Financial Planning

In summary, the conversation is discussing an annuity due with a deposit of $100 every week for 5 years at a 14% annual interest rate compounded weekly. The person is confused about why they need to find the present value instead of the future value and is asking for help creating a correct line diagram. The correct line diagram should have the first payment at time 0 and all the exponents shifted by one. The present value is calculated to be $18684.01, which represents the amount needed to be invested today to have a future value of $100 every week for 5 years.
aisha
Annuity confusion Help please

$100 is deposited at the beginning of every week for 5 years in an account that pays 14%/a compounded weekly

this is a simple annuity due

b)draw a line diagram to represent the annuity
what is the line diagram going to show present value or future value?
will it look like this line diagram
http://ca.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sikandar1984/detail?.dir=9181&.dnm=2f5f.jpg&.src=ph

c) it says find the present value of the annuity using the formula I think I can do this but WHY are we finding present value instead of future value I don't understand?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
That line diagram is off as it's representing an ordinary annuity. Yours is an annuity due so there should be a payment at time 0. If they are asking for the present value in the next part, you may as well have your line diagram represent that.

You are finding the PV instead of the FV because that is what they are asking you for! It depends on your needs as to which is relevent. For example, if you want to set up a trust fund so junior can pull $15,000 out every year for the next 4 years to help with school, you'd need to know the present value so you know how much you have to dump in today. On the other hand if you plan on setting aside $2 of your allowance every week to save up for a new calculator in the fall, you'd like to find the FV so you know how much money you'll have to spend come the new school year and you can start drolling over models in your projected price range now.

ok I made a line diagram Its a line which says

PV
100(1.00269)^-52......l
100(1.00269)^-260........l

Now the question says find the present value of the annuity using the formula so i used PV formula = R (1-(1+i)^-n)/(i)

i=0.00269
n=260
R=100
I subbed in these values and got the present value = $18684.01 IS THIS RIGHT? WHAT DOES THIS VALUE MEAN?

Last edited:
It's an annuity due, so why don't you have a payment under the NOW time?

1 week is now but NOW is just the heading for all those formulas is the value correct?

Ah, I see. Still, you've adjusted your first payment back by a weeks worth of interest. This isn't what happens in an annuity due, since the first payment is made at the time you are calculating the present value.

OK so what adjustment do I have to make to my line graph to make it true?

All the exponents need to be shifted by one. You can think about which direction.

PV

100(1.00269)^-1...l
100(1.00269)^-2...l
100(1.00269)^-52......l
100(1.00269)^-260........l

I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW to do that please copy and Paste and Edit this one I am trying so hard to understand all of ur advice.

1. What is an annuity and how does it work?

An annuity is a financial product that provides a steady stream of income over a period of time, typically during retirement. It works by an individual making a lump sum payment or series of payments to an insurance company, which then invests the funds and pays out regular payments to the individual.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and variable annuity?

A fixed annuity offers a guaranteed interest rate and a fixed income stream, while a variable annuity allows for investment in a variety of funds and offers the potential for higher returns but also carries more risk.

3. Can I withdraw money from an annuity before the scheduled payout date?

Yes, but there may be penalties for early withdrawal, such as surrender charges or fees. It is important to carefully consider the terms and conditions of an annuity before making any withdrawals.

4. What happens to an annuity when the owner passes away?

The terms of an annuity may vary, but typically the beneficiary designated by the owner will receive the remaining funds in the annuity after the owner's death. It is important to have a designated beneficiary and regularly review and update this information.

5. Are annuities a good investment for everyone?

Annuities may be a suitable investment for some individuals, particularly those who are nearing retirement or looking for a steady stream of income. However, it is important to carefully consider your financial goals and consult with a financial advisor before investing in any financial product.