When electrons and positrons collide they produce 2 photons

In summary: Actually, the wavefunction does NOT vanish at the origin. The decay rate is indeed proportional to the square of the wavefunction at the origin.
IntuitioN
I was told that when electrons and positrons collide they produce 2 photons of 0.511MeV each. But what happens to the kinetic energy of the electrons and positrons? It just feels to me that the energy is not conserved.

I was told somewhere that the relative KE of the particles to each other is 0, but I don't understand this.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
IntuitioN said:
I was told that when electrons and positrons collide they produce 2 photons of 0.511MeV each. But what happens to the kinetic energy of the electrons and positrons? It just feels to me that the energy is not conserved.

All the energy from is positrons and electrons are 'converted' into two photons. Energy is very much conserved. This is easy to prove when just writing down the energy and momentum conservation laws.

Regards
marlon

I think in the other thread anti_crank mentioned that the 0.511MeV photons produced is only when the collision occurs with the positron + electron at rest. But then how do they "collide." Don't they have to move close to each other, therefore they have KE just before collision?

IntuitioN said:
I think in the other thread anti_crank mentioned that the 0.511MeV photons produced is only when the collision occurs with the positron + electron at rest. But then how do they "collide." Don't they have to move close to each other, therefore they have KE just before collision?

"At rest" in this context means that the velocities are significantly smaller than the speed of light, so that the kinetic energy is small compared to the rest mass.

You are correct that the photon energy will be shifted due to the kinetic energy in the collision. So instead of seeing a spike at exactly 511 keV, there will be a distribution with some width. Again, it's a small effect.

Note that when you see actual data looking for the 511 line from astrophysical sources there are many other effects that distort the line-shape as well (doppler broadening, etc... There's a long list).

IntuitioN said:
All that's required is a partial overlap of their wavefunctions to count as a "collision". Think of the positronium atom: in the ground state the electron's wave fcn vanishes at the positron "nucleus" and there is no "motion" as defined clasically - yet the system still decays.

zefram_c said:
All that's required is a partial overlap of their wavefunctions to count as a "collision". Think of the positronium atom: in the ground state the electron's wave fcn vanishes at the positron "nucleus" and there is no "motion" as defined clasically - yet the system still decays.

Actually, the wavefunction does NOT vanish at the origin. The decay rate is indeed proportional to the square of the wavefunction at the origin.

Pat

1. What is the significance of electrons and positrons colliding?

Electrons and positrons are particles with opposite charges, so when they collide, they annihilate each other and release energy in the form of photons. This process is important in understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and in studying the creation and destruction of matter.

2. How are photons produced from electron-positron collisions?

When electrons and positrons collide, they release energy in the form of photons. This is because the particles are matter and antimatter, and when they come into contact, they annihilate each other and their mass is converted into energy according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2.

3. What are the properties of the photons produced from electron-positron collisions?

The photons produced from electron-positron collisions have specific properties, including energy, wavelength, and polarization. These properties can be measured and studied to gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions between particles.

4. How does the production of photons from electron-positron collisions contribute to our understanding of the universe?

The production of photons from electron-positron collisions is a fundamental process that occurs in various natural phenomena, such as in high-energy particle accelerators and in astrophysical events like gamma-ray bursts. By studying these collisions, scientists can gain insights into the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

5. Can the production of photons from electron-positron collisions be harnessed for practical applications?

The production of photons from electron-positron collisions is not currently used for practical applications. However, the energy released from these collisions can be harnessed in nuclear power plants and could potentially be used in the future for clean and efficient energy production.