Should I Study Physics? Spanish Student Seeks Advice

In summary, the individual is a Spanish student who is torn between pursuing a career in aeronautical engineering or physics. They are seeking advice on how to choose their career path, as well as what steps they should take to prepare for a potential career in physics. It is recommended that they maintain good grades, apply for summer research opportunities in Europe, improve their English proficiency and programming skills, and avoid expensive language degrees. The individual is also open to receiving translations if needed.
Granada
Hello, I am a Spanish student and I don't know what I have to study...
On the one hand i like seriously know how to make planes (Aeronautical engeeniering)... but on the other hand I love the physics! I wait for you can help me, I have to choose my career in a month because I already have Awals! by the by... I'm from Granada (Andalusia) and I think that so that I wanted to work completely in physics maybe I whould have to go to foreign countries. Thank you, very much.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hola compi, another Spaniard here. :)

You will almost definitely need to leave Spain to do absolutely anything with a physics degree. Make sure you maintain the best grades as you can, apply to every single summer research opportunity you can find in Europe every year of your undergrad (there aren't many, just CERN, MPI, ESA, IAC and some random UK and German universities... IAC is the only one in Spain I know of, that or really working your contacts to get some form of research experience if you find a professor that is willing in your later years), and most importantly obtain a very high working level of English and programming in your spare time.

Start reading English novels, papers, textbooks (you will no doubt be forced to use English textbooks at some point in your physics degree in Spain, start now with Alonso-Finn, Halliday-Resnick, Tipler or similar 1st year physics books instead of using the translations if you find them at your university library), and get used to watching your favorite TV shows in English without subtitles.

Take some sample IELTS or TOEFL exams and when you're getting above 100, you will be ready. Take the TOEFL or IELTS in your last year of undergrad. Don't waste money on "Escuela de Idiomas" and other similar commercial language degrees, they are expensive and practically worthless outside of Spain. Hagas lo que hagas, no aprendas ingles de otro español!

Si hay algo que no entiendes, mandame un PM y te traduzco. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

1. Should I study Physics as a Spanish student?

Yes, you can certainly study Physics as a Spanish student. Physics is a universal subject that transcends language barriers, and your proficiency in Spanish will not hinder your ability to learn and excel in this field.

2. Is Physics a difficult subject to study?

Physics can be a challenging subject, but it is also a very rewarding one. It requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills, but with dedication and practice, anyone can succeed in Physics.

3. What are the career options for Physics graduates?

Physics graduates have a wide range of career options, including research and development, engineering, finance, data analysis, and teaching. Physics is a highly sought-after degree that can open doors to various industries.

4. How important is math in studying Physics?

Math is an essential component of Physics, as it helps us describe and understand physical phenomena. However, if you are not confident in your math skills, don't let it discourage you. You can always work on improving your math skills while studying Physics.

5. What are the benefits of studying Physics?

Studying Physics can provide numerous benefits, including developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, a better understanding of the natural world, and a strong foundation for various career paths. It can also open up opportunities for research and innovation in various industries.