Why does perspective skew some lines and not others?

In summary: In the diagram, you are shining the light at an opaque square. The shadow it casts will be narrower at the top than it is at the bottom.
ed2288
Imagine looking at a set of x-y-z axes, from directly along the z-axis.

perspective_1.jpg

Say in this image, the road is the line z=0.

Why is it, that only lines on or parallel to the z-axis get skewed? All the surfaces that are in or parallel to the x-y plane remain undistorted, and their angles are at 90 degrees.

Just to highlight the point, imagine if this image was extended to include more building and streets at the side. The streets at the edges would get increasingly more skewed but again, only in the z-axis. What is it that is causing this increase in skewing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That is not a perfect 3D sketch of cuboids (blocks). Those lines should converge somewhere outside the image, too, but you can neglect this for most images.

On the other hand, a real view is not planar, you need some projection technique to show it on a computer monitor. If you project it on a XY-plane close to us, shapes in XY-direction stay the same. Shapes with a Z-component get distorted.

mfb said:
That is not a perfect 3D sketch of cuboids (blocks). Those lines should converge somewhere outside the image, too, but you can neglect this for most images.

In the above image, all the z-direction lines are converging at the vanishing point, as we would expect. Are you saying the x or y lines should be skewed too and converge too?

They are not actually lines - they are curves.

In the direction that you are looking, lines start out as parallel, but then curve toward a vanishing point.
This is usually simply drawn as straight lines, since the part where they are parallel are outside the range of the picture frame.

Perpendicular to the direction you are looking, lines also start out as parallel, and within the range of the image, they remain close enough to parallel to draw them as parallel lines.
If you extend your the range of your picture frame, they also curve towards a vanishing point.

I'm still confused unfortunately. Let's take a very simple example. I know from life experience, that if I have a perfect square of green paper, lie it flat on a table, and put it a little distance in front of me, then look down on it - this is what my eyes will see:

http://www.englishtap.com/library/maths/images/trapezium.png

I suppose my question boils down to: how do I go about actually proving this?
How do I prove that the sides will slant inwards, the front will be longer and the back will be shorter?

Last edited:
You can model yourself as a point in space and the paper/monitor as 2D sheet somewhere in space. Project everything onto this sheet along rays which originate at you.
For objects parallel to the paper, this will conserve angles and relative lengths. For lines with a component perpendicular to the paper/monitor, this is not true.

It's more like this.

Attachments

• perspective.png
    perspective.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 444
mfb said:
Project everything onto this sheet along rays which originate at you.
For objects parallel to the paper, this will conserve angles and relative lengths.

Thanks for your help. So I've started to draw a ray diagram to try and help understand what you said. The green line is a side view of the square of paper on the table.
t6ar76.jpg

Am I going in the right direction? From this diagram, how can I now get what the eye is seeing?

If you want a picture of a town, it would be more useful to hold the paper vertically.

Something like this:

attachment.php?attachmentid=59200&stc=1&d=1370115467.jpg

Attachments

• eye.jpg
    eye.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 541
Ed, your drawing will not help because it does not correctly show how the light works. I can't draw, so I hope this explanation will help a little.

It really boils down to the fact that objects further away look smaller. Since a road is generally the same distance across at all points, the distance from one side to the other APPEARS to gradually get smaller as the distance increases, just like how a moving object appears to get smaller as it recedes from you.

If you really want to understand how the image formation works you must learn a bit about basic optics. Unfortunately I don't have a good link for you.

Ok so I think I've now convinced myself that if I were to shine a light at an opaque square (slanted so it casts a shadow), then the shadow it would cast would be narrower at the top than it is at the bottom. Is this diagram that I've drawn physically accurate?

Is this the same principle that is occurring in perspective drawing? If so, how does my diagram relate to drawing an object with perspective? I've heard people talk about "transforming" 3d things onto a 2d surface but not too sure what this means.

Attachments

• square.jpg
    square.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 421

1. Why do objects appear smaller in the distance?

Perspective is the visual effect that causes objects to appear smaller as they get farther away. This happens because objects that are closer to us take up more of our field of view, while objects in the distance take up less of our field of view. Our brains interpret this as objects being smaller in the distance.

2. Why do parallel lines appear to converge in the distance?

When we look at parallel lines in the distance, they appear to converge or come together at a single point. This is known as the vanishing point and is a result of perspective. As objects get farther away, they appear smaller, and the lines that make up those objects also appear to get closer together.

3. Why do objects appear to change shape when viewed from different angles?

Perspective also affects the shape of objects when viewed from different angles. Depending on the angle we are viewing an object from, the lines that make up that object may appear to be shorter or longer, creating the illusion of a different shape. This is why an object can look different when viewed head-on versus from the side.

4. Why do some objects appear closer than others even though they are the same size?

Our brains use perspective to interpret depth and distance. This means that even objects that are the same size can appear to be different distances away from us depending on how they are positioned in relation to other objects. Objects that are higher up in our field of view will appear farther away, while objects closer to the horizon line will appear closer.

5. How does perspective affect the way we perceive the world around us?

Perspective plays a crucial role in how we perceive the world around us. It allows us to see three-dimensional objects on a two-dimensional surface, giving us a sense of depth and distance. Without perspective, objects would appear flat and our view of the world would be limited. Perspective also helps us understand spatial relationships and how objects relate to each other in our environment.