Going back to school for physics

In summary, a new member of the community is considering going back to school to pursue a physics and math degree, after graduating with music and history majors. They have secured a job but are still interested in expanding their knowledge in physics and math. They have taken some classes in these subjects during college but were unable to focus on them due to their humanities coursework. The member is 22 years old and is seeking advice on whether going back to school is a smart idea for their future goals and if they can afford it. Other members suggest considering the purpose and potential career path of the degree, as well as the cost and age at which they would be starting their studies. Many members have had successful experiences starting their degree later in life.
bigshowgeer
Hello all,

I am new here, but I believe this is the correct place for this type of thread. If not, I am sorry.

I have just graduated from college cum laude, but with a music major and history major. Before my senior year, I regretted not picking up a physics major instead of my history major. I am not worried about the job scene (or lack thereof) since I already have landed a job. However, I am seriously considering to perhaps go back and take some physics and math classes at a community college in my spare time.

I did indeed take a few classes in astronomy and mathematics in my college career, but I wasn't able to spend a lot of attention on them due to my heavily filled humanities coursework.

Is going back to school a smart idea for me? I'm 22 by the way.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, congrats on your cum laude award.

Ask yourself a few questions:

Why do you want the degree?

What do you plan to do with it? Will you stop at the AS level or transfer to a 4 year school? What about beyond that?

Is the cost worth it for your goals?

Can you afford it?

Many people here have started their degree beyond the age of 22 and had successful careers, time doesn't really start ticking until after you graduate.

1. What is the job outlook for physics graduates?

The job outlook for physics graduates is positive, as there is a growing demand for highly skilled professionals in fields such as research and development, technology, and data science. Physicists also have a wide range of job opportunities, including academia, industry, and government research.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to study physics?

Yes, having a strong math background is essential for studying physics. Physics heavily relies on mathematical concepts and equations to explain and understand the physical world. A solid understanding of calculus, algebra, and geometry is crucial for success in physics courses.

3. What are the prerequisites for a physics degree program?

The specific prerequisites for a physics degree program may vary depending on the university or college. Generally, students are expected to have a strong foundation in math and science, including calculus, physics, and chemistry. Some programs may also require courses in computer science and engineering.

4. What skills do I need to succeed in a physics program?

To succeed in a physics program, you will need to have excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and a strong understanding of mathematical concepts. It is also essential to have good laboratory skills, as many physics courses include hands-on experiments and data analysis.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics graduates?

Physics graduates have a wide range of career opportunities, including research and development, engineering, data science, and academia. Physicists can work in various industries, such as aerospace, renewable energy, healthcare, and telecommunications. They can also pursue advanced degrees in physics or related fields, such as astrophysics, engineering, or computer science.