Striking up conversation at a party

In summary: I was left standing alone and couldn't find anyone to connect with.In summary, the speaker is recounting a situation from a party where they felt isolated and unable to connect with anyone. They discuss the difficulty of breaking into one-on-one conversations, and suggest using a tray of food or drink as a way to join in. The speaker also expresses frustration with the lack of introductions and interest in each other's professions, citing this as a cultural issue in the Netherlands. They also share a humorous anecdote about an awkward interaction with a man from Ireland at the party.
When I find myself with nobody to talk to, I just wander around a bit. Sometimes I'll end up out on the patio by myself and just enjoy the view. If it's in view of the main party, there's usually one or two who will do the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
I disagree with a lot of the advice given here. Unless you're at some victorian party, or some upper echelon get together where you need to be "in the know" to be accepted, then just go join in on conversations.

It's only awkward if you think it's awkward.

People at these parties want to get to know you. They're just there to have a good time. Just bring positive energy, make jokes, laugh a lot, and make new friends.

If you're getting negative vibes from a group, and you're trying to be super positive, go talk to some other people.

But honestly, as long as you're being positive and having fun, then everyone will want to talk to you.

This socializing with strangers thing is a lot easier than it looks. Everyone is super nervous, and super gracious for you to break the ice. :-)