PF is back - after a two hour outage.

• Thread starter Mentz114
  • Start date
In summary, Greg ran out of ##\nabla##'s after the recent heavy usage. He needed an update to his BIOS, and it took a while to figure out. He felt cut off from reality for awhile, and when he saw it down, he went into nihilist overload. He recovered after getting help from other members of the community.
Mentz114
I presume you ran out of ##\nabla##'s after the recent heavy usage.:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Mentz114 said:

yeah from processing your sig :D

BIOS got corrupt. Needed an update. Took a while to figure that out.

Likes 1 person
FINALLY ! needed my dose of PF! :D

good job guys!

Mentz114 said:
Closer to 6 hours.

I felt cut off from reality for awhile.

Oh, wait. I might need to double check my version/definition of reality.

When I saw it down I went into nihilist overload.

WannabeNewton said:
When I saw it down I went into nihilist overload.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

There are two kinds of people in the world: females and males.

And why did it have to happen on the day I wrote my magnum opus...

Someone left the BIOS out, in the rain
I don't think that I can take it
It took so long to google it
and I'll never have that thought pattern, again... oh No!

:cry:

--------------------------
MacArthur Park. Worst song ever.

I'm just glad I wasn't home so I didn't have to experience the outage. :rolleyes:

LCKurtz said:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

...and people who don't understand this is a base three joke.

All Hail Greg!

:thumbs: Thank you Greg for working like crazy for over 6 hours straight to get PF back up and running!

collinsmark said:
I felt cut off from reality for awhile.

Oh, wait. I might need to double check my version/definition of reality.

Your definition is fine; it's exactly how I felt!

Greg Bernhardt said:
yeah from processing your sig :D

BIOS got corrupt. Needed an update. Took a while to figure that out.

How did it get corrupt? I mean seriously, how does a BIOS get corrupt? Isn't it protected by the operating system?

jackmell said:
How did it get corrupt? I mean seriously, how does a BIOS get corrupt? Isn't it protected by the operating system?

Really don't know. We were updating the kernel, rebooted and things went all wonky.

for a while, i had thought i was I.P. banned. :)

krash661 said:
for a while, i had thought i was I.P. banned. :)
I had similar thoughts. I'm an old guy and hadn't done anything worthy of banning, but still...

Greg Bernhardt said:
Really don't know. We were updating the kernel, rebooted and things went all wonky.

So what are you runnin' Greg? Mind? Ok if so. I was just curious like hardware, database, operating system, speed don't forget speed. Also I have to admit some ignorance about the BIOS. Not sure where it is. I should know, maybe inside kernel memory somewhere in the first 100 Mb of RAM and loaded at bootup and I would assume selfishly and meticulously guarded and protected by the operating system so then to get corrupted, what? I suppose some app must have gained kernel privilege to write to a protected area of the disc drive containing the BIOS and permanently corrupting it.

If that was a test question in a class on Operating Systems, I think that's the best I could do and just hope for the best.

jackmell said:
So what are you runnin' Greg? Mind? Ok if so. I was just curious like hardware, database, operating system, speed don't forget speed.

CentOS, MySQL, Apache/Nginx, Intel E5-2620

Greg Bernhardt said:
CentOS, MySQL, Apache/Nginx, Intel E5-2620

Very concise. Not hard for me to see just where you're at, with some digging that is. :)

The BIOS resides on the motherboard (mainboard).

collinsmark said:
The BIOS resides on the motherboard (mainboard).

Ok thanks Collins. Suppose I should have looked it up before talking. I just personally appreciate someone competent running the system I'm using and I think Greg is. No brown-nosing. Just stating my opinion about the matter.

1. What is PF?

PF stands for "power failure" and refers to a disruption in the supply of electricity.

2. Why did PF occur?

PF can occur for a variety of reasons such as equipment failure, severe weather, or human error.

3. How long did the outage last?

The outage lasted for two hours.

4. Were there any damages or consequences from the PF?

It is possible that there were damages or consequences from the PF, such as data loss or equipment damage. However, the extent of these damages would depend on the specific circumstances of the outage.

5. How was the issue resolved?

The specific steps taken to resolve the issue will depend on the cause of the PF. In general, the power supply would need to be restored and any damaged equipment or systems would need to be repaired or replaced.