Solving ODEs on the TI-89: Tips & Tricks

• Calculators
  • Thread starter enceladus_
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ti-89
In summary: The TI-89 can only do DE's up to the second degree. Would it help if I explained the method in full?Thanks for your help.The TI-89 can only do DE's up to the second degree. Huh... can it solve coupled DEs?No, it can't.
enceladus_
1. Is it possible for the TI-89 to solve Exact Equations?

Ex: (2x-1)dx + (3y+7)dy = 0

I've tried various forms of input, but I cannot find a way for the Calculator to give me a complete answer. My best luck so far was:

(2x-1)x' + (3y+7)y' = 0. The y' part was correct, the x' part was incomplete.

2. I've been reading about how to convert higher order equations into a form that the calculator can solve.

Ex: y''' + 3y'' + 2y' - 5y = sin(2t)

Can be written as:

y'(subscript 3) = 5y(subscript 1) - 2y(subscript 2) -3y(subscript 3) + sin(2t)

How might I enter this into the TI-89?

3. Why does the TI-89 put tan and cot in terms of sin and cos? I have seen rather simple equations turn into complicated messes because of this.

Thanks in advance.:smile:

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Did you try (2x-1) + (3y+7)y' = 0?

##y'_3##? Looks like an unusual notation. What is wrong with y'''?

Your suggestion worked, I find it odd that leaving out x' makes it work though.

The TI-89 can only do DE's up to the second degree. Would it help if I explained the method in full?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
The TI-89 can only do DE's up to the second degree.
Hmm... can it solve coupled DEs?

z=y', z''+3z'+2z-5y=sin(2t)

Your suggestion worked, I find it odd that leaving out x' makes it work though.
dx/dx=1

mfb said:
Hmm... can it solve coupled DEs?

z=y', z''+3z'+2z-5y=sin(2t)

No, it can't. I see what you're doing though, and its very similar to the method I am trying to use. In my method:

y1 = y, y2 = y', y3 = y''...yn = y ^(n-1).

From these:

y'1 = y' = y2, y'2 = y'' = y3...y'(n) = y^n.

This gives the system:

y'1 = y2
y'2 = y3

My example from earlier:

Ex: y''' + 3y'' + 2y' - 5y = sin(2t)

Can be written as:

y'(subscript 3) = 5y(subscript 1) - 2y(subscript 2) -3y(subscript 3) + sin(2t)

I'm puzzled as to how to enter this in the calculator though.

I understand I could graph this, but how would that help me?

1. How do I enter an ODE into my TI-89 calculator?

To enter an ODE into your TI-89 calculator, you will need to use the "d/dx" button on your calculator. Press the "d/dx" button followed by the variable you wish to differentiate with respect to. Then enter the equation using the appropriate syntax, such as using "^" for exponents and "*" for multiplication.

2. Can I solve systems of ODEs on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can solve systems of ODEs on your TI-89 calculator. To do this, you will need to use the "d/dt" button instead of the "d/dx" button. This will allow you to enter equations for multiple variables and solve for their values simultaneously.

3. How do I graph the solutions to my ODE on the TI-89?

To graph the solutions to your ODE on the TI-89, you will need to use the "dy/dx" button on your calculator. This will allow you to graph the derivative of your ODE, which will show the direction of the solution curve. You can then use the "trace" function to plot points on the solution curve and get a better understanding of its behavior.

4. Can I solve higher order ODEs on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can solve higher order ODEs on your TI-89 calculator. To do this, you will need to use the "d^n/dx^n" button, where "n" represents the order of the derivative. You can then enter the equation using the appropriate syntax and solve for the desired variable.

5. Are there any tips for solving ODEs on the TI-89 calculator more efficiently?

One tip for solving ODEs on the TI-89 calculator more efficiently is to use the "solve(" function. This will allow you to solve for a specific variable in an equation, rather than having to manually rearrange the equation. Additionally, using the "factor(" function can help simplify complex equations before plugging them into the calculator.