Entropy in polytropic processes

In summary, the equations used in this question are s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)+Rln(V2/V1) and PVk=c. By rearranging and substituting, we can show that for a polytropic process, entropy change can be expressed as s2-s1=cv(n-k/n-1)ln(T2/T1). In order to determine whether the flow in the given scenario is reversible or irreversible, we need to calculate the net entropy change per unit mass of air. By using the relationship cp=cv+R and rearranging, we can obtain the value of k-1, which can then be substituted into the entropy equation. However, upon solving, the final result is s2-s1
nvjnj

Homework Statement

I have question on entropy for which I have no idea about, please help me out...

a) Change of entropy of a gas is given with usual notations by:
s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)+Rln(V2/V1)

using this relationship, show that for a polytropic process, entropy change can be expressed as:
s2-s1=cv(n-k/n-1)ln(T2/T1)

b) In an air turbine air expands from 7bar and 460°C to 1.012bar and 160°C. This process can be assumed as a polytropic process. Determine,

1) Whether the flow is reversible or irreversible
2) The net entropy change per unit mass of air.Please give me a step wise calculation on how to arrive at the answers 'cos I'm so weak in entropy. Additionally I would appreciate if someone can give me links for a site where I can bring my entropy knowledge up to level 'cos, even though I understand the Clausis inequality and the derivation of entropy property, I'm at a loss on how to apply it in a question such as this...

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, PF is not a homework service. You'll have to develop your own calculations. We can examine your work and give you suggestions if it needs correction or improvement.

nvjnj said:

Homework Statement

I have question on entropy for which I have no idea about, please help me out...

a) Change of entropy of a gas is given with usual notations by:
s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)+Rln(V2/V1)

using this relationship, show that for a polytropic process, entropy change can be expressed as:
s2-s1=cv(n-k/n-1)ln(T2/T1)

b) In an air turbine air expands from 7bar and 460°C to 1.012bar and 160°C. This process can be assumed as a polytropic process. Determine,

1) Whether the flow is reversible or irreversible
2) The net entropy change per unit mass of air.Please give me a step wise calculation on how to arrive at the answers 'cos I'm so weak in entropy. Additionally I would appreciate if someone can give me links for a site where I can bring my entropy knowledge up to level 'cos, even though I understand the Clausis inequality and the derivation of entropy property, I'm at a loss on how to apply it in a question such as this...

Homework Equations

No idea

The Attempt at a Solution

No idea
Ok, here is an attempt at the question...

Let s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)+Rln(V2/V1)----------(1)Polytropic Process : PVk=c
rearranging and substituting gives : V2/V1=(T2/T1)(-1/k-1)

Substituting to (1) gives; s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)+Rln(T2/T1)(-1/k-1)

Rearranging and simplifying : s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)-(R/k-1)ln(T2/T1)-----------------------(2)

Using the relationship : cp=cv+R
rearranging : (cp/cv)=1+(R/cv)
which gives : k-1=(R/cv)---->cv(k-1)=R---------------(3)

Substituting (3) to (2) gives :
s2-s1=cvln(T2/T1)-(cv/k-1)(k-1)ln(T2/T1)

Which gives me s2-s1=0 ...which is not what I need! Please help me out...

1. What is entropy in polytropic processes?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In polytropic processes, it refers to the change in entropy during a thermodynamic process where the pressure and volume of a gas are related by the equation PVn = constant.

2. How is entropy related to polytropic processes?

In polytropic processes, the change in entropy can be calculated using the equation ΔS = nRΔln(Vf/Vi), where n is the polytropic index, R is the gas constant, and Vf and Vi are the final and initial volumes, respectively.

3. What is the significance of entropy in polytropic processes?

The change in entropy during a polytropic process determines the efficiency of the process. A decrease in entropy indicates a more efficient process, while an increase in entropy indicates a less efficient process.

4. How does the polytropic index affect entropy in polytropic processes?

The polytropic index, n, is a measure of the relationship between pressure and volume in a polytropic process. It has a direct impact on the change in entropy, with a larger value of n resulting in a greater change in entropy.

5. Can entropy be reversed in polytropic processes?

No, entropy cannot be reversed in polytropic processes. The second law of thermodynamics states that entropy always increases in isolated systems and can only remain constant or decrease in non-isolated systems. Therefore, the change in entropy in polytropic processes will always be positive.