Calculators with mod and custom functions

In summary, the conversation is about finding a calculator that can perform remainder calculations and allow for custom functions, specifically the example of f(x) = (x^2+3x+2)mod13. The options suggested are learning PERL or purchasing an HP48G+.
nradosevic
Hi,
I need a calculator that have mod(remainder) function and that allows me to enter custom function, for example: f(x) = (x^2+3x+2)mod13 , and then quickly calculate the values of that function by entering different values for x.
Do you know any calculator that can do that?
Thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
My HP-50g has a mod function.

Otherwise, if you have the floor function and can program functions you can use [itex]a \mathop{\mathrm{mod}} b = a - b\left\lfloor\frac{a}{b}\right\rfloor[/itex]. (This is what I did with my TI-84+.)

Perl

nradosevic said:
Hi,
I need a calculator that have mod(remainder) function and that allows me to enter custom function, for example: f(x) = (x^2+3x+2)mod13 , and then quickly calculate the values of that function by entering different values for x.
Do you know any calculator that can do that?
Thanks

Yeah... learn PERL and you can do that... or buy an HP48G+, that can do it.

1. What are mod and custom functions on a calculator?

Mod and custom functions are additional features on a calculator that allow for more advanced mathematical operations. Mod, short for modulus, is used to find the remainder after division. Custom functions are user-defined functions that can be created and stored in the calculator for quick use.

2. How do I use mod and custom functions on a calculator?

The exact steps may vary depending on the specific calculator, but generally, you can access mod and custom functions by pressing the "mode" or "function" button on the calculator. From there, you can select the desired function and enter the necessary values to perform the calculation.

3. What is the purpose of using mod and custom functions?

Mod and custom functions are useful for solving complex mathematical problems that cannot be solved with basic arithmetic operations. They can also save time and effort by allowing for quicker calculations and reducing the chances of human error.

4. Can mod and custom functions be used for real-life applications?

Yes, mod and custom functions can be used in various real-life applications. For example, mod can be used in computer programming to determine if a number is even or odd. Custom functions can be used in financial calculations or in scientific experiments to analyze data.

5. Are mod and custom functions available on all calculators?

No, not all calculators have mod and custom functions. These features are typically found on more advanced scientific or graphing calculators. Basic calculators may not have these capabilities.